Rebecca Ensign interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello! I’m a mother, wife, licensed mental health counselor, business owner and author from New Hampshire. I have an MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Antioch University New England and I love coffee, books and scaring my husband by binge watching Dateline.


When did your love of books begin?

I don’t remember a time when I didn’t love books! My mother read to me every night when I was a child and I loved getting caught up in stories. My favorite books growing up always seemed to be about animals exploring the worlds around them. In particular I loved “Sammy the Seal” by Syd Hoff and “Where’s Willie?”by Seymour Reit. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’ve had the thought on and off for years, but didn’t really seriously consider it until I had my son. It felt like my imagination was ignited after I started reading with him every night and I began playing around with different stories. I work in the mental health field so my focus is on writing children’s books that help children navigate emotions that may be difficult for them while still making sure to pull in some fun animal adventures. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s a fun and challenging process. I love the creativity and collaboration involved. My process tends to be writing, getting feedback, editing and then repeating this process until I’m satisfied with what I’ve written. The most dreaded part of the writing process for me  is querying publishers and agents. It’s tedious and there is a lot of rejection! 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Focus on the aspects of writing that you are passionate about and remember why you are writing! Take breaks when you need to and try to focus on your achievements instead of rejections that are far too common in the book industry world. 


Tell us about your book/books:

Otis Has a Bad Day is a sweet, rhyming, story about how to navigate difficult emotions. When Otis is insulted by his brother and then trips (adding insult to injury), he does what any little orangutan would do; He reacts poorly! This does not improve his mood. In fact, it makes it worse leaving Otis to figure out what he needs to do to feel better. 

I had the pleasure of working with the amazingly talented Stella Maris who provided the playful, dreamy and adorable illustrations for Otis Has a Bad Day. I am very fortunate to have found her! She has really brought Otis’s story to life in a way that is even better than I could have ever imagined!

Otis Has a Bad Day is being released through Pegasus Publishers. The release date is TBD. Stay tuned!



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing/reading community is so welcoming, supportive and encouraging! Overall, it’s such a positive community to be a part of!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I hope that you find something fun, encouraging and magical when you are reading my books, especially if you are a little one! 


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter: @ AuthorREnsign

Instagram: @ AuthorREnsign


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview