Barry S. Markwick interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

That’s a tough question. I think at primary school. But I remember writing more than I read, so I’m not sure how that happened! I remember having a very vivid imagination when I was young, always retreating into make-believe worlds. Some were self-created, but many others were from books and films. I think The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was the first ‘real’ book I can remember reading. That had a big influence on my love of fantasy fiction. This led me to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. My two favourite books!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Well, I took a few creative writing courses at university, but felt a bit restrained by the structure imposed upon me then. So I put off the thought for a number of years. Revisiting the idea at various stages of my life, but never thinking it was realistic. Life got in the way... During Covid, I started writing again, and the story wouldn’t let go. This turned out to be my first novel: The Waxing Moon.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s difficult to manage the writing with my day job as an English Language Teacher. But I love writing. It allows me to escape, as I did as a child. It is a great stress reliever for me, too. And of course, I want to know what the characters are up to and where they take the story next (they never tell me!).



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Go for it. Believe me, if I can get a book published, then everyone can. Start writing about the things you love, and a wonderful thing happens: the story takes over and the words start to flow onto the page. It’s an amazing sensation. Truly wonderful.


Tell us about your book/books:

My novel: The Waxing Moon: The Areekyan Chronicles Volume 1 is a fantasy epic set in the land of Areekya. A gritty tale of intrigue and in-fighting with the ancient, long forgotten Magick rising out of myth and legend to shape the direction that power takes in Areekya.




What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I have found the writing/reading community to be an incredibly friendly and welcoming group. Very supportive and full of advice. This is my first novel, but I’ve already started my second, and the help and support has been great.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you to those that have bought my book and those who are thinking about it! I hope you enjoy reading about the characters as much as I did writing about them.


Where can people connect with you?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheAreekyanChronicles

Twitter: https://twitter.com/author_barry

My website: https://www.theareekyanchronicles.com

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BN2ZKV3H

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN2ZKV3H

Instagram: Instagram.com/@barrysmarkwick



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview