Sarah Watts interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’ve always enjoyed the written word but What Happened to Evie Del Rio? is my first book to be published. It was published on 8th July 2022 by Cahill Davis Publishing. I had had the idea for some time and had already started writing it when COVID hit. Suddenly I had loads of time to sit down and write without the usual daily distractions. I finished my novel and started to send it off to some publishers and agents when Cassandra at Cahill Davis Publishing offered me a contract.

I live in West London, and I’m married with two sons, and I’m owned by a black cat called Hector who often features on my Instagram account. I’m obsessed with music, and you will find me more often than not listening to some kind of music. I also always listen to music whenever I’m writing but for editing, I need complete silence. My debut novel is music related and there is a Spotify playlist that accompanies the book. Just search “What Happened to Evie Del Rio?” and you’ll find it.


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve always enjoyed reading, even as a small child, I would love nothing more than reading the latest Enid Blyton book. Her writing inspired me to write the sorts of books that I wanted to read.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It’s been a dream of mine to become an author for as long as I can remember. I was always writing stories and plays as a child.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s a solitary occupation and although I’m a very sociable person, I’m quite happy with my own company too which helps, but it is good to connect with the writing community on social media, although it can sometimes be a distraction. It’s great to talk to people who are going through the same experience as me. There is so much more to writing a book than just writing a book! I also have big respect for my publisher and my editor helping to make my book the best that it could be. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Try not to take things too personally. Sometimes your writing just isn’t someone’s cup of tea – it doesn’t mean to say it’s not good – it’s just not for them. If you are serious in becoming an author, the main thing is just write. Don’t worry too much about spelling mistakes, grammar etc to start off with, it can be addressed later – just get that first draft down and then you can trick around with it later. Also don’t stress too much about the title of your book as these are more than often changed. Everyone is different in their approach to writing – there is no right or wrong way to write a book – you do you and write about what you like.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut novel What Happened to Evie Del Rio? is a contemporary novel full of 80s nostalgia, first love, an epic indie love song and the girl that inspired it. Can you ever truly escape your past and reinvent yourself, or does the past always find a way of catching up with you?

Evie Del Rio was the one, as far as Ed Nash was concerned.

Their teenage love was the inspiration for his song 'Used to Be' and helped Ed's indie band, The Mountaineers, to international fame.

But when Evie and her family suddenly up sticks and leave their London home without a forwarding address, she leaves a heartbroken Ed behind too.

Over thirty years later, washed up rocker Ed is suddenly back in the limelight when Evie's love song is used as the theme tune for a new TV drama. Once the song is later featured on TV documentary 'Musical Muses: The Girl in the Song' it's suddenly not just Ed who's asking...

What happened to Evie Del Rio?



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love connecting with other authors, bloggers and people who just adore books in general! They are always so supportive, and I’ve already made some wonderful friends online whose posts make me laugh and lift me up when I need it. Connecting with other indie writers has expanded my reading and it’s such a thrill to receive a review from a fellow author who has enjoyed my writing. A big thank you to all the bloggers who take the time to review our books and leave reviews and to sites like Feed My Reads who help promote our work. I am always so very grateful.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for buying or borrowing my book. I’m so pleased that you have enjoyed the 80s nostalgia, whether you experienced it yourself first hand or not! I’m always so thrilled whenever someone takes the time to leave a review or reaches out on social media to say that they have enjoyed my book. I’m currently working on the sequel to What Happened to Evie Del Rio? so be prepared to reacquaint yourself with some familiar characters and be introduced to a whole host of new ones.


Where can people connect with you?

You can find me on Twitter: @SKWattsWrites and on Instagram: @sarahwattswrites

You can get a copy of What Happened to Evie Del Rio? here:

www.books2read.com/whtedrsw


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview