Vivian Conroy interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi I'm Vivian Conroy, author of contemporary and historical mystery books.


When did your love of books begin?

Even as a little girl I loved books. I often went to the library and always tried to check out more titles than allowed.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I discovered Agatha Christie at 13 and devoured all her stories, thinking I'd love to one day write my own mysteries. I still have a lot of old notebooks with stories. Once my first mystery was published, more followed and I've currently published more than 25 titles, with publishers both in the UK and US.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Crucial was joining Twitter when I was still unpublished because it made me see a tweet asking for a story starting with a proposal. They probably meant romance, but I thought: why not a mystery starting with a proposal? I wrote an opening scene set in 1920s London where a lady at a party overhears a proposal and this became my first historical mystery A Proposal to Die For, that got me a 3-book deal with HarperCollins' division HQ Digital.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Keep your eyes open for submission opportunities. Follow publishers on social media. Learn all you can not only about writing but also about how the publishing business works. Most of all, keep the joy of writing alive! Trying to get published can be a long journey with a lot of rejection along the way, so make sure you do what you love and then you will succeed in the end!


Tell us about your book/books:

My latest release is Mystery in Provence, a 1930s mystery featuring Miss Atalanta Ashford, who inherits her grandfather's fortune on the condition she will use her talents to help people in precarious positions. In her very first case Atalanta travels incognito to a lush estate in Provence for a wedding to discover whether the high society groom killed his first wife. It's available in ebook, paperback and audio, narrated by the awesome Jessica Whittaker. Special shoutout to BAFTA nominated Gary Redford for the gorgeous cover art. The second instalment Last Seen in Santorini will have Atalanta travel to a beautiful burg on Santorini to investigate the seemingly accidental death of a companion but during a summer festival another body is discovered and Atalanta must race against time to outwit the clever killer. It will release in January and is up for preorder now.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

It's so supportive! And we all love the same things: books, stationery, cosy reading on the sofa, with a hot chocolate at hand ... It feels like home!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Reading has always been an escape to me: I could be transported to another world for a few hours and forget about everything else. I hope my reading is as escapist to my readers and gives them much joy! Also: did you know libraries have request forms where you can ask for books you'd like to read to be added to the catalogue? Why not ask your local library to carry my books so you can check them out?


Where can people connect with you?

I'm very active on Twitter under

All my books are listed on Goodreads: here And you never miss a special deal or price drop when you follow me on Book Bub: bookbub.com/authors/vivian


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview