M.M. Cordero interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Recently, as part of my mid-life crisis, I returned to college after a thirty-year hiatus to complete my bachelor’s degree. This, as it turned out, was not less expensive than buying a red convertible sports car.
While in college, I rediscovered my love (and more than occasional hate) for writing.  I completed my bachelor’s degree with a major in Creative Writing. I’ve been a longtime fan of science fiction and fantasy, and have just completed my first book, The Key to Infinity. 
When not writing, I spend much of my time putting numbers in spreadsheets, playing guitar in an all-woman punk rock band, and throwing people on the floor as a martial arts instructor.


When did your love of books begin?

Sometime in early childhood.  My mom started me reading early, in fact I can't remember not knowing how to read. Obviously there was a time i didn't know how, but it seems like I've always been reading.  I would hide in my closet and read. I'd read my books in class and get in trouble with the teachers.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Again in early childhood.  My mom has some scraps of paper I stapled together when I was about seven, scribbled with drawings and words, a story of a boy and a girl lost in a city with pyramids, my first book...it is unfinished, which is a pattern I had until I recently completed my first novel.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Tedious and exhausting (LOL) but I keep coming back to it.  I think there is a primal need for humans to tell stories.  There are different ways to do that, writing is just one of them.  I feel compelled even though it is hard, and I give up for periods of time, but I always come back to it. There is so much to learn, not just about being a good writer, and a good storyteller, but if you are going to self publish there is the business aspects to it as well.  


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Don't do it!  Just kidding.  It's hard, so you have to do it because you enjoy the process, or I should say I enjoy the challenge of the process. I do not always enjoy the moment.  But then I'll go back and read something I wrote and think, damn that's pretty good, and I get energized from that.  Don't do it for the recognition, or the money (haha), but do it because you will learn about yourself and grow.


Tell us about your book/books:

I'm just about to publish my first book called The Key to Infinity.  It is a light hearted adventure of two sisters who are trying to find their mother who they thought had died when they were born, but was kidnapped by the Lord of the Other Worlds.  I say it is sort of like the Wizard of Oz, meets Raiders of the Lost Ark with some Flash Gordon rolled in.  It takes place at the beginning of World War II. There are Nazi's as bad guys, and space pirates, and ten-foot tall alien cats, and a giant blob monster.  It's a lot of fun.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

People are very supportive of each other. At least that has been my experience so far.  Especially the writers supporting other writers.  I don't have many readers yet, so I'll have to see how that goes when my book is published, but I know as a reader myself, I'm always rooting for the author to do well.  Even if a book isn't to my taste, I'm like wow, look at what you accomplished.  Having written a book now, I know how hard that is to do.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thanks for taking the time to read my story.  I know there is so much out there to read and watch and listen to, so to make an investment in time and energy in my book is really appreciated.  And buy the sequel when it comes out. I'm working on it.


Where can people connect with you?

I'm trying to get good about doing all the social media things, but I'm not quite there yet. I do have a twitter account at @mokio and I have a website mm-cordero.com.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview