Scarlet Robbins interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Originally from the East Coast state of Maryland, Scarlet Robbins overcame many tragic circumstances while growing up in inner city Baltimore. She graduated in the top half of her high school class, with numerous achievements including, "A" honor roll and creative writing certificates. Pursuing a love of computers, she put herself through night college classes, while also working in the daily business world. She earned a business degree in Computer Networking. In addition to her writing, Scarlet is an avid music lover. She is a survivor of many things, and a chronic illness warrior. She has written two poetry books, one paranormal romance book, and the first book in her new erotica collection will be released in September. Scarlet currently lives in the Midwestern state of Illinois where she helps her mom and loves to spend time with her yellow lab, Barney-Bear, a.k.a. Doof.


When did your love of books begin?

As long as I can remember. I learned to read when I was about three years old. I used to have really bad vision, and at one point, I was legally blind in my left eye. My uncle used to work with me on learning how to read and write, while I also attended weekly eye therapy. My mom and grandma also read bedtime stories to me as a child. I was also (and still am) a big fan of pop-up books and comics.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I composed my first poem at the age of six. It was about the birds and the sun. To everyone else it was gibberish. But to me, it was everything. The sense of accomplishment that I felt was so exciting. It was me, expressing my thoughts. I wanted to continue doing just that. I wanted to share my thoughts with the whole world. Whether they liked it or not. Ha ha. I composed my first book when I was nine years old. I even illustrated it. It was based on the Ramona and Beezus books by Beverly Cleary, which I loved as a young girl. I dedicated it in memory of the Challenger Spaceshuttle tragedy.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Indie authors sometimes receive a lot of grief for deciding to self-publish instead of querying with a traditional publisher. There are pros and cons to everything. For me personally, although it may cost a little more money to publish and market both my books and myself, I enjoy the freedom of being the one in charge of how my books are presented. I love designing my books and covers. And when money runs tight, there are a lot of free or reduced fee options that can help authors accomplish their goals.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Never, ever, give up on your dream! Never let anyone tell you that you aren't good enough, or that your writing isn't good enough. Nothing and nobody is perfect. Any craft that you want to master takes practice. To be a writer you must first be a reader. Read other authors and study their techniques. Share your ideas with other authors. Accept constructive criticism, but not insults.


Tell us about your book/books:

I will be releasing the first book in a new erotica series (The Rock Chronicles) in September. This book is titled "Taming Wild Hearts". I also have a paranormal romance book titled "The Taste of Temptation" which is the first book in The Senses Series. I'm currently working on the second book in that series. And, I have two books in my Collection of Thoughts poetry line. These books are titled: "Love and Pain - A Collection of Thoughts" and "Love and Desire - A Collection of Thoughts."






What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I have met and interacted with so many people. I enjoy the support that everyone provides to each other, whether it be author to author, or author to reader. It's nice to bounce ideas off each other and it's helpful knowing that there are other writers who are or may be experiencing the same situation you are in your writing process.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

THANK YOU! Without readers, we as writers should cease to exist. I'm grateful for each and every person who comes across my work and takes the time to read it. I appreciate the feedback as it helps me hone my skills.


Where can people connect with you?

Through my website: https://www.scarletrobbins.com. And also on social media: Twitter: @scarletauthor, Instagram: @scarletrobbinsauthor, Goodreads: Scarlet Robbins


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview