Book interview - How to Get Me Up in the Morning by Nolcha Fox



Please tell us a little about the book

"How to Get Me Up in the Morning" is a collaboration of poetry and photography with my dearest long-time friends, Jill and Scott Kalter. It is my third chapbook, but the first that incorporates writing and art.


Where did the inspiration come from for your book?

I wanted to collect all the poems I had written since my second book, "The Big Unda," which was published by Alien Buddha Press a couple of months ago.

It was originally a larger book, all poetry. I mentioned the book to Jill, and our conversation turned into a collaboration.

I halved the number of poems and sent the manuscript to her. She provided several choices for each poem, and I selected the photos I liked best.


How did you find the experience of writing this book?

I enjoyed writing each individual poem, and working with Jill to pair each one with a photo was great fun.


Did you draw any inspiration from any real life people with any of your characters?

Many of the poems poke fun at me (my math block, my inability to get out the door), at my relationship with my husband, and with my dogs.

This is one of my favorites:

Directions

We discuss directions, we argue
with our navigation system.
We call her Rhonda.

He wants to take the shorter route
which takes longer, of course, 
not the course I would choose.
The roads are slick, the tires
skid from side to side.

I want to take the longer route,
which takes less time,
the roads are cleared of ice and snow.

Rhonda wants to take the interstate,
which takes us five miles
out of the way. Rhonda doesn̢۪t care
about time or mileage, 
she just likes to drive fast.

I also drew from my childhood experiences. So child-me and my parents appear and take a bow.


If you could say anything to readers of this  book then what would it be?

If you enjoy what I wrote, contact me and let me know. Tell your friends and relatives to buy the book. If so inclined, leave a review on Amazon or Goodreads or both.


Are there plans for more from these characters, or is it a stand alone piece?

This is a stand-alone piece.


Where can we purchase your book?

On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Morning-Collaboration-Photography/dp/B0BF31V4T3/


Please tell us where readers can connect with you and find out about any new book releases too.

Twitter: @NolchaF
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nolcha.fox/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown