Samantha Verba interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hey everyone! My name is Samantha Verba and I love weird stuff and cheesecake! I’m a pastry chef by day and a writer by night. Horror stories and romance stories are my favorite, so of course I love to blend the two together. I am 30 years old, my favorite color is purple, and I have recently started watching a lot of anime.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began before I could read. My Grandma would babysit me and always be reading me something, whether it was an actual children’s book or the latest celebrity gossip from Star or Enquirer magazine. She was the type of grandma that would send you news paper clippings in the mail of someone you might know. She was always reading things.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I really took an interest in poetry when I was around 9 or 10 years old. I always carried a little journal with me that I’d write little rhymes in. My mind just about exploded when I learned that not all poems needed to rhyme. At the end of 8th grade, I was about 14 when I already looking into colleges to study English and writing, and that’s when I discovered Chester College of New England.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Much trial and error. Everyone’s writing process is different. I used to imitate other peoples processes that I’d read about, interviews with Stephen King where he talks about it, I’ve read his book On Writing. I’d listen to all of my writer friends tell me their process, but none of them really worked for me. I’m notoriously known for giving up on projects or half writing and losing interest. Eventually, I settled on discipline. I write a minimum of 1000 words a day, even if it’s garbage. I can edit garbage, but I can’t edit a blank page.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I say write your silly little stories, even if you’re worried that they’re dumb. Lean into the skid of your weirdness. I fell in love with the twilight series when I was 14 years old and for the last 16 years I’ve just listened to people tear it apart in the best and worst ways. In all honesty, I loved the way that book made me feel when I was coming of age, I loved that Bella would talk about classic books and that she was clumsy and kind of pessimistic. She made me feel okay that I wasn’t very girly, but still identified as a girl. And I hope that one day I write something that helps an odd teenager feel comfortable with themselves, too.I always tell myself, if my best friend is the only one who reads my book, then I’ve done my job. She has read everything I’ve ever written since middle school. If the worst case scenario is that I had an amazingly fun time with my best friend for 8 months, reading and editing and bouncing back ideas, then that’s okay by me. No one can take that joy and experience away from me.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut novel comes out this October. It’s called Can’t wait to be Dead and if you like sarcasm and vampires and low budget horror movies and John Cusack and awkwardly navigating through your late teens, then it’s the perfect book for you!




What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the camaraderie of the community! Everyone is so supportive of each other’s cool little stories and strange ideas.  There is always someone who is 100% down with what you’re writing about. If your self conscious about the subject matter or what you’re into, I guarantee there are hundreds of other people into the same thing, feeling the same way that you are. You will find your people, they are out there!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Be weird! I have a full time job as a pastry chef and I come home from work and write books about vampires. Just be honest with yourself, even when it’s hard, and you will be surprised how fun and relieving it is to just let you be you.


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter and Instagram! I love interacting with my followers and I love reading their stories! I love romance stories and crime stories and cozy mysteries the most! And of course, anything and everything paranormal/supernatural.Twitter @MissSamVeeInstagram @verbasam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown