Azza El Wakeel interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I am born and living in Alexandria, Egypt. I graduated from the Business and Administration Department, Faculty of Commerce. Writing is my hobby! I translated some of my modern poems from their original Arabic into English and was able to reach English audience through my website and other websites and publications.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began when I was young, still in preparatory school, I had a fever due to a vaccine and had to stay in bed for several days, my mother gave me the great novel "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott to read and I loved it, I nearly didn't sleep till I finished it. My mother was a good reader, she had a big library, kept buying books through the years and encouraged me to read. I buy books but spend more time reading news papers and magazines because they include news, various topics beside stories and poems. I also like reading memoirs.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

At the age of eleven I wrote in my diary that I wish to become a poetess because poets are capable of expressing their deep feelings and thoughts in a wonderful style. At that age I studied poetry in school beside reading other poetry books and loved many song lyrics that I listened to.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

As an author I started publishing my thoughts, articles and poems in "Sayidaty" weekly Arab popular family magazine which is similar to She and Elle in Europe, Sayidaty in Arabic language mean Madam, I wrote a weekly column named "Words for him" between 1992 till 1996
I guess it was a beginner's luck, I used to buy several weekly and monthly magazines, my favorite was "Sayidaty", I dreamed to become one of it's writers, one day I decided to send few of my texts as a sample to the editor in chief and guess what?, I was offered to write a weekly column!.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

It isn't enough to want to become an author, you've got to be gifted or have talent, have imagination, ideas and style, also the language and vocabulary an author uses are very important!.


Tell us about your book/books:

I published three books, the first two in Arabic language, Untraditional Woman in 1999 and First Seasons Of Love in 2000, then my third book in English language The Distance published January 2022.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

While writing I discover myself, and understand my feelings, I enjoy presenting my ideas in writing, through reading I live in different worlds and times, learn from others' experiences, add to my knowledge and enjoy great works.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would like to inform my readers that I opened my YouTube channel and I invite them to watch my first video-poem "Your Old Dream" through the following link:
I also invite my readers to read the new poems I wrote this year (not included in my book The Distance) through the following link:


Where can people connect with you?

I have my goodreads author's page
My twitter account
My Facebook's page
My poetry book "The Distance" is available to purchase on Amazon, other online websites and bookstores worldwide beside my publisher's website through the following link:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview