Catherine Yardley interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My debut novel came out in March. It is called Ember. I have written my entire life and I am an avid reader. I am also the editor-in-chief of Frost Magazine. 


When did your love of books begin?

It’s always been there. Books have saved me all of my life. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When I was twelve I tried to write my first novel. I wrote it longhand on A4 paper. Both sides. I got to fourteen pages until I realised I had no plot and no idea. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Lovely. It was a huge amount of hard work and sacrifice, but people in publishing are lovely and supportive. Anyone can write a book and send it to agents and publishers. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Read as much as possible. Work hard. Sacrifice for your dream. People think they don’t have time to write or submit but they do if they get up earlier or go to bed later. Polish your draft as much as possible and then submit relentlessly. You can do it. 


Tell us about your book/books:

Ember is about Natalie who’s life is derailed after her younger sister, Amanda, gets married and pregnant before her. Their father broke the family apart thirty years ago by leaving on Christmas day. When he comes back he brings back all of the childhood trauma with him. Natalie leaves her boyfriend on the side of the road. Can the family be together again? Will Natalie get back with her boyfriend? Should we forgive someone just because they are family? It covers universal themes like infidelity, infertility, gaslighting, and childhood trauma. It has love and hope too.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The support and love. I have made so many amazing friends. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for choosing my book. It means a lot to me. Every single reader is such a dream. Also: Leave a review please! Well, unless you hated it. 
My debut novel, Ember, is available to buy here: https://linktr.ee/balavageyardley


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and Facebook. @balavage 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview