Michelle Kemper Brownlow interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I'm a former art teacher, freelance parenting writer, and mom of three, living in Amish Country, PA. 


When did your love of books begin?

My favorite memories from childhood are of me and my mom perusing the shelves of our tiny town's library. That's where I found my first love, picture books. Then, I loved reading as a pre-teen. Judy Blume was my absolute favorite but then my mom banned those books because of what she called "questionable content" so I stopped reading all together. And when public school started TELLING me what to read as per their curriculum, I boycotted it yet again. But, went back to it as an adult and you can't stop me now! 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Over a decade ago, when our children were still little, I tried my hand and writing and illustrating picture books and middle grade novels, but the trend in those days was to either write or illustrate...no one seemed to want the package deal of author/illustrator. So, on a whim, I wrote a New Adult romance novel in a month and sold it before it was actually finished. I've written three more novels that also were traditionally published.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's less glamorous than I'd pictured it being. LOL! You watch movies where there are fancy book tours and lots of flights to and from interviews and talk shows. I wasn't actually expecting any of that, but it also doesn't happen for most authors. 
I've also found that I NEED to be traditionally published as opposed to going the self-publishing route because, personally, I work best with external guidance and deadlines. 
I've never been agented but will be querying agents with my current work-in-progress.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just don't EVER give up! But, keep learning about the craft because the industry changes all the time and what you've written may be ahead of its time. If you watch the #mswl threads on TikTok, you may find someone looking for EXACTLY what you've got. Social media is a huge tool for the writing and querying community.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have a three book series, called The Falling Forward series. 
Book 1- Going Under
Book 2 - Reclaiming Grace
Book 3 - (a spin-off of another romance from book 1&2) PLAYED
Book 1 & 2 of The Falling Forward series follows Gracie Jordan as she navigates not only a dysfunctional and emotionally abusive relationship, but also the seedy underbelly of Greek Life on her college campus. It's a beautiful friends-to-lovers trope that I feel is relevant for all women who need a little push to stand up for themselves. I often receive "thank you" emails from women who hadn't before noticed the red flags in their own relationships until they read this series.
Book 3, PLAYED, is a rock star romance that has been described often as "unputdownable!" The other characters from the first two books are also in the storyline. There's drama, beautiful love and so many surprises that keep readers needing more of Calon and Becki.
My latest book is called WHEN I LIED and it's for anyone who loves a good MTV Catfish episode. Kate Green is awkward and shy and knows she'll need to be more comfortable in her own skin as she starts college. So, of course she creates a fake identity (fake pic included) on Twitter to lurk and see what college life will expect of her. Little by little she starts to post and catches the eye of, none other than, Olive Walt, lead singer of Phobia5, a rock phenomenon on the college scene. Their relationship blossoms and Oliver surprises her when Phobia5 fills in for a last minute cancellation at a music festival on Kate's campus. What will she do now, she looks nothing like the pics she's been posting. Kate devises a plan that could have crushing consequences for both of them.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

It is literally the most welcoming community I've ever experienced outside of my college sorority. And far less catty than said sorority.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Leaving reviews for the books you loved is like sending an author a huge bouquet of flowers. Do it. And do it often. And, if you didn't like a book, simply don't leave a review because it could keep someone who WOULD enjoy it from ever experiencing it. 


Where can people connect with you?

I'm all over the place.
All of my books are on Amazon, just search Michelle Kemper Brownlow.
I'm on IG as @mk_brownlow_ author
You can find me on Twitter @MK_Brownlow
And the whole of my randomness is on Pinterest as Michelle Brownlow but the artsy side of me is on Pinterest as Shel Brownlow
And, of course, I'm on TikTok at @mkbrownlow_author
(btw, I had to look those all up because I'm also suuuuper forgetful! LOL!
Thank you so much for the opportunity to interview with you. I'm so excited to meet new readers so reach out on any (or all) of those platforms and let's connect.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview