Reed Logan Westgate interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Reed Logan Westgate is a lifelong resident of the scenic state of Maine, nestled in the northeast corner of the USA. His journey as an author began early in school, where his love of reading transformed into a passion for storytelling. On graduating high school Reed moved on to College in Dover New Hampshire. While the desire to pursue his writing lingered, he instead chased financial stability for his family. He obtained his degree in accounting rather than focusing on his elusive dreams of being an author. In 2020, nearly twenty years later, he took a leap of faith and published The Infernal Games, the first book in his Baku series.

Reed spends his free time enjoying the world of tabletop games with friends and family. He attributes many of his character's personality quirks to his years of guiding his local gaming group through dungeons and the host of recurring characters that have graced his adventures over the years. 


When did your love of books begin?

My love of reading was fostered by my grandmother, who practically raised us. A Polish immigrant she valued the education she never received and so before we were even school age she started us on Hooked On Phonics. By the time I entered school I was far above the reading level for my age which actually led to my first major school disciplinary action in 3rd grade when I refused to read the assigned Misty of Chincoteague because I was busy reading Mary Shelly's Frankenstein from the library. I was always the "weird" kid who asked for books for christmas and amassed a huge collection by the time I entered high school. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I realized in my freshman year I had the writing bug. I had some really great English teachers at Sanford High who lauded praise on my writing and encouraged me to keep telling stories. About midway through Highschool I began writing a Fantasy manuscript revolving around a Half Elf rogue. Of course back in 1999 self publishing wasn't nearly as accessible as it is today. My dreams of being an author simmered and I satisfied my creative itch by running tabletop roleplaying games and leading my friends through countless worlds and adventures.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The actual writing part is one of my favorite things to do. I love the time spent researching tidbits and incorporating them into my world. The marketing and promotional side, not as much fun. I didn't have a strong social media presence and I am not super outgoing so building a community has been a challenge. There are some really positive and lifting groups out there though helping elevate creators.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Try stopping. If you can't then you're an author. It doesn't matter if you have a thousand followers or two. If writing makes you happy, then write. Build your world and in time, they will come.


Tell us about your book/books:

The Baku Trilogy is an urban fantasy adventure and my first self-published work with the final book in the series due out on June 1, 2022. The series follows Xlina Dar'Karrow, a magically awakened warrior who is a descendant of the Baku. She is cursed with terrible nightmares every night, but those nightmares, like her Baku namesake, feed her magic. She is a dream eater. When a demon takes interest in her she becomes an unwilling pawn in a demonic power struggle. Along the way she meets Oxivius Soulforge, a necromancer with a dubious past and a master of the dark arts. Oxivius is everything Xlina had ever been told was evil, but she finds herself questioning her perception of good and evil as she comes to see the world from a different point of view. The overarching moral to the Baku Trilogy is freewill and the power of intent in our lives. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community has been super supportive. Honestly there are so many talented folks out there just helping to lift others up. It's inspiring. The readers I have interacted with have been amazing. Everything from fanart to ships of my characters to dream casting the reading community keeps me motivated to continue exploring the worlds I create.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you, time is the most precious resource we have. When you picked up my book you decided to allot some of that time to sharing my world and characters. I am eternally grateful for everyone who makes that choice. It's readers like you that keep authors like me creating new and exciting worlds.


Where can people connect with you?

I can be found on my website at www.rlwestgate.com as well as facebook, twitter, and instagram. I love hearing from the community and engaging so don't be shy. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview