A.J. Smee interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is A.J. Smee, author of the new adult dystopian/scifi 'SCARBOYS". I'm an international teacher/librarian. I have lived abroad for over twenty years, but currently live in Venezuela, which is the subject of my new fiction book.


When did your love of books begin?

From the earliest age, my father's bookcase possessed a certain beauty. He had an array of history books--thick and intimidating, but with beautiful covers.  I remember having my own collection of books later, beginning with Jim Davis' Garfield. The distinct satisfaction of having them ordered on my shelf was a comfort. I started other collections later, mainly compiling a nice selection of Stephen King paperbacks. These are good memories.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I first started writing songs and poetry, as I spent a lot of time playing music when I was in high school. I never really considered a songwriter as authorship per se, but I amassed a considerable amount of journals with thoughts and blurbs. The band scene got a bit complex with lots of people involved, so I started writing prose, which was a more solitary activity. I suppose in my mid twenties I had put together quite a few short stories and began thinking about longer pieces of work. I still have a few novellas and one novel hidden away from the world.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process is definitely never ending. It's humbling. There's always some improvement that's occurring. For me, it's the creation that I find most fun. Creating is life.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write. Forget about the rest. If you write, you're an author. It has nothing to do with making money.


Tell us about your book/books:

Scarboys is a New Adult (ages 16 up) dystopian/scifi novel about a boy named Nestor Hardy. He's the clear protagonist, but there are quite a few other children who have to deal with a world where they are wanted. The antagonist, Kuntryve, is a child hunter who aids Moize Soudelor, a doctor who seeks to improve the maladies of the human condition. Children, for him, are the best subjects.
The book deals with many themes of environment, technology, power and self-discovery. It's an intelligent book with some uniquely designed tropes.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Although writing is a solo activity, you can't have something be read without other people. This community is always a give and take with no real expectations except for what happens between the covers.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Enjoy the read. What else is there?


Where can people connect with you?

I've just self-published my first book 'SCARBOYS' via Punkwrite Publishing, which is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Kobo. You can check A.J. Smee out here: www.punkwrite.com or on my YouTube channel.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview