Mandrake Pan interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW




A little introduction:

Ahoy, all gentle readers of the electrical communication wonder that is Feed My Reads!

My name is Mandrake Pan. Author, Arcanologist, and Man-About-Town.

My principal preoccupation these many years has been as the founder, chief writer, and editor of the Foremost Publication of the Supernatural, Eldritch Monthly.

However, lately I have turned my hand to gathering all materials from my archives to communicate some of the most incredible cases of the paranormal England has ever heard! 


When did your love of books begin?

I have loved books for as long as I can remember. My father (who, along with my mother, formed the well-known music hall pairing of Potts and Pan) used to throw books at me when he had had too much to drink.

Being a halfway decent silly point in my day, I used to deftly catch them and soon found I was intrigued by the titles.

Since that day, I read voraciously. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

After a brief stint as a toffee taster at Nanny Willoughby’s Naughty Treats, I was given the opportunity to join the publication ‘Winchell’s Guide to Ghosts and Goblins’ as an ink runner.

It was there I met my mentor Tinky Wilson who instilled in me a love of words.

When the time was right, I formed my own magazine (Eldritch Monthly), and it was a natural progression to go from writing articles to writing longer works. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Writing is a challenging endeavour. It takes discipline, imagination, fortitude, and cake.

However, luckily for me my typewriter is possessed by the spirit of the great English novelist Abbington Keynes who often finishes work for me while I’m asleep. 


Tell us about your book/books:

Well, the whole fantastical story of ‘The Case of the Fiendish Nudger’ – my first book that follows the adventures of London’s most famous Supernaturalist Wilfred Woolfitt - was first communicated to me by Nimble, his youthful apprentice.

Indeed, it is Nimble’s unique voice that I have tried to replicate from the many wax cylinders the young urchin provided for me.

In this way, I was able to tell the story of the return of the Fiendish Nudger in the year 1899.

Wilfred Woolfitt finds himself trying to solve the mystery of the Nudger’s seeming return from the dead, while contending with a sceptical inspector, a toothless crook, and a flying moustache – amongst many other unusual circumstances.

‘The Case of the Devil’s Key’ a new book, is out soon. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I have not long embroiled myself in the reading and writing community, but I find them eminently charming, helpful, supportive, and cheerful.

Unlike my housekeeper Mrs Gregson.

As I writer myself, I enjoy aligning myself with all manner of creativity. And I have been constantly astounded by the level of imagination on display amongst them. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would say that a love of books is a love of life.

And remember, as Tinky Wilson often told me: ‘A good book is like a good friend. While a bad book is like a surly cousin.’ 


Where can people connect with you?

My website:

https://www.mandrakepan.com/


On twitter:

https://twitter.com/MandrakePan

 

You may also follow my author’s page on amazon where you can find ‘The Case of the Fiendish Nudger’!

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09MC4PL3L

 

Mandrake Pan. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview