Emma Robinson interview

 AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Emma Robinson is a USA Today Bestseller with a passion for stories which explore the power of family and friendship in the most challenging circumstances. Whilst her early novels are humorous; her recent work focuses on emotional themes and these novels are both heart-breaking and life affirming.

Emma currently lives in Essex, England with a husband, two children and a small black dog.


When did your love of books begin?

I spent pretty much all of my childhood with a book in my hand. From an early age, I loved the escape of losing myself in a book, experiencing what it was like to be a different person, in a different place, a different time. I was a huge Enid Blyton fan (particularly The Famous Five) but the book which first moved me was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When I was around nine or ten, a girl called Louise Fisher published a series of children’s books about fruit and vegetable characters. Her photograph was on the back of the books and it was the first time that I realised that authors weren’t magical creatures – they were people like me. From that point on, it was my dream to write stories that other people would read. My first stories were all about a girl called Tina and her dog Toby. Sadly, or perhaps fortunately, they remain unpublished.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I think it requires hard work, tenacity and a dollop of good luck. My debut novel was about a woman on maternity leave and it was picked up by an editor (still my fabulous editor ten books later!) who had also just returned from maternity leave.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Keep writing and keep working on your craft. My first submission to an agent was rejected but she was generous enough to give me detailed feedback. I enrolled on a ‘Self Edit Your Novel’ course with Jericho Writers and did the work. A year later, that novel won my first publishing contract. 


Tell us about your book/books:

My books are mostly about the power of family and friendship in challenging circumstances. Whilst they can be heartbreaking, I hope that they are also uplifting. My most recent novels – To Save My Child and Only for My Daughter – both explore the lengths a mother will go to protect her child. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

How supportive it is! I am very lucky to work for a publisher with a large, friendly, supportive author community. I have made some very close friendships with other authors. The blogging community and FB reader groups are also a fantastic support. I hope they realise how much appreciated they are by the authors whose books they read and shout about.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you! I am so lucky to have had lots of brilliant reviews from readers and it really does keep me going when I am tapping away at my laptop alone. As a big reader myself, I love when readers connect with me and tell me that they have enjoyed my books – especially if I have made them laugh or cry. To be able to move someone, in the way books have moved me throughout my life, is a wonderful feeling.


Where can people connect with you?

Website: www.emmarobinsonwrites.com

Facebook: facebook.com/motherhoodforslackers

Twitter: @emmarobinsonuk  

Instagram: emmarobinsonuk



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview