Virginia Mateias interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I was born in Europe. I was five years old when I discovered books. The universe of books has always had a magical pull that drew me in. I started reading long before going to school and my mother was proud of me because I was able to read the newspaper to my father. Boredom prompted me to learn how to read early. Once I started reading books I wasn’t bored anymore.



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I remember wishing to become an author early on in my childhood. Books have always provided a chance for my spirit and my mind to wander anywhere I wanted to. I probably realized back then that the mind is the fastest and most efficient vehicle.



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

On my journey to becoming an author I read a lot. I studied literature, and drama during my university years. However, I believe life itself has been the most effective instructor. I was also a journalist in my own country, and I am still one now. Going forward I left Europe and moved to Canada. Moving to a new country with a new culture has brought about new life perspectives and new challenges. To return to my previous idea, life constantly gives us the opportunities we need to evolve. It’s up to us to accept or reject these opportunities.



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would suggest to aspiring and new authors to use words in a responsible way and to stay alert to the words’ own power. I believe they need to persevere in this endevour regardless of the twists and turns the literary life brings about.



Tell us about your book/books:

My first book called “The Persistence of Memory” was published in Romania and was received with much success. The public purchased all the available copies and the book was highly praised by critics. The second book called “In the Shadow of the Angel” was published in Canada in 2019. The poetry I wrote emerged from a soul that has walked along fiery instants and from a mind that never ceased to question existential concepts. In my opinion, the author and the reader are the opposite sides of the same coin/medal. Writers cannot exist without readers and readers cannot exist without writers. A book is simply a bridge that invites the mind and soul of the two entities to meet.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

A book is a chance for the reader to enter a new time frame, to live a new life and learn something new. I would encourage readers to choose books that allow them to dream and to learn, to rediscover themselves.



Where can people connect with you?

All those who love poetry are welcome to (visit me on or) follow my Twitter account at @MateiasVirginia.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown