Maggie Claypool interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

After growing up in Missouri, and then making Colorado her home for 20 years as she travelled the country as a consultant, Maggie Claypool now lives in the First State (Delaware) with her two rescue dogs, Fancy and Chico.  In her stories, she attempts to strike a resonant chord of emotion in the reader. Her tale, “The Gravy Boat” appeared in Instant Noodles Volume 1 Issue 3 https://devilspartypress.com/the-gravy-boat-straw-maggie-claypool/   and her short story “Watch Me” was published in 2021 on Spillwords.com (https://spillwords.com/watch-me/ ).  Maggie also routinely includes brief fiction in her blog at https://maggieclaypool.com/



When did your love of books begin?

When I started kindergarten WAY too many years ago, there was a boy in my class who could read. I wanted to learn to read immediately. All the adults in my life told me I had to wait until 1st grade. 😩 But, Mrs. Newton, my kindergarten teacher, did teach me to "sound out" letters and words, and with that leg up, I was off and running!



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I've long entertained my friends with humorous short stories and "recaps" of events. And, throughout my career, writing has been one of my strongest talents and helped me move up the career ladder. But, it wasn't until my early 40s that I felt the drive to create fiction for larger audiences to read. With the advent of the pandemic, I finally committed to devote time to writing rather than just fitting it in intermittently.



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's tough. At this point, I'm trying to follow the traditional path, and as everyone who's ever gone that route knows, it's very hard to even get your work considered. What I have learned more recently from the #writingcommunity is that self-publishing is not a walk in the park either. I think what sustains all writers through the process is that the reading and the writing communities are so very supportive.



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Well, I'm still making my way myself. But, I think the first step of the journey is to mute that voice in your head telling you , "You're not really a writer." If you write, you're a writer. If you've crafted a story, an article, a graphic novel -- whatever -- you're an author regardless of how you get your creation in front of a reader. Believe that, as you put in the work to learn the fundamentals of your craft and its market. Then write, write, write!



Tell us about your book/books:

I have two in-progress novels. The first, Notches, on its face is a contemporary novel that chronicles the investigation into the murder of Eric Morris, a man who spent his life cultivating enemies. But, the larger story is that of one of those enemies, Carly McAllister, who in the wake of Eric's death begins to know and value her true worth.
My second work in progress, which has a working title of Conversations with Mom, is a speculative tale about a woman who vocalizes a wish to be able to ask her deceased mother questions, and then worries about her sanity when her wish is granted.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The positivity and the support! I don't know that I've ever been part of a community that is so overwhelmingly positive and inclusive!



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I hope that you enjoy my tales, and that something of them remains with you long after you turn the last page.



Where can people connect with you?

Please visit my website, maggieclaypool.com, where I have a weekly blog that often includes short stories! While you're there, please give it a "like" if you enjoyed it, and drop me a line on the contacts page! I'm also exploring the twitterverse -- @MaggieMClaypool.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview