Lorna Hunting interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

                            


A little introduction:

After raising a family I studied and taught Chinese history at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London, to undergraduates learning Mandarin.My particular period of interest was medical missionaries in China in WW2 and antique Chinese and Japanese textiles. I've lived in Lincolnshire most of my life, gradually  moving down the county and now live right on the edge in Stamford in an old house with lots of beams. I read a lot. Lorna Hunting is my pen name. 



When did your love of books begin?

I can't remember when I couldn't and didn't read. I was an only child and my mother read too so we spent a lot of time reading. My parents never censored my reading being only too happy that I was a little bookworm. I do remember once beginning "Angelique and the Sultan" one of my mother's steamier books. She raised an eyebrow, but my father told her to ignore it as I'd soon be bored with it. He was right. I was too young for it. Although I did enjoy it later.



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I've always thought I would write a novel. All my life I've thought "that would make a good opening line" or "I could put that in a book". So it's always been there.



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I'm not a social animal, I love my own company. So, writing is the perfect solitary experience for me and, of course, when I'm writing I'm not alone, my characters are with me. I started off as a pantser and got into all sorts of dead ends. Now, 18 months since I began writing seriously, I plan a lot more although I never know how it's all going to end. I have one book that I write everything in eg. names, birthdays, characteristics, placenames and that becomes my book bible. I have to write it by hand.



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I think you know inside that you are a writer/author. My maxim has to be Never Give Up. I began my first book 30 years ago, but I realised I didn't have enough life experience to write it as I wanted it to be. I put it aside and picked it up all those years later and it became my debut novel. Also it's true that it's never too late.



Tell us about your book/books:

My debut novel, "New Beginnings on Vancouver Island'' is set in 1854 and follows a collier from Whitehaven in Cumberland who emigrates to set up the coal mines in Western Canada. On the way he meets a school teacher and their lives entwine. It's historical fiction written in the romantic saga genre I am told. It is faction - fiction based on a true journey my forebears took. It came out in October and has been well received. My readers are asking for more so I have literally just begun a sequel - first three paras written and I am deep into the research.

My current WIP is "The Shackletons of Whitehaven" is also a hist fic romance set in 1860. This one is set totally in Cumberland and is about a shipping family. It's going for a developmental edit next month.




If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If I've taken you out of this world into another time and place and entertained you along the way then I'll feel I've achieved my aim. We all learn from feedback so tell me what you like and what you don't like - constructively please.  Just because I'm an author doesn't mean I'm thick skinned and my book is my baby!



Where can people connect with you?

My blog/website is www.lornahunting.com  I write about my work, Whitehaven, Canada, the 19th Century, and there are some book reviews on there as well.

My email is lornahunting@gmail.com

Twitter: @lornahunting

Facebook: @huntinglorna

Instagram:lornahunting

                                            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview