Jacqueline Harrett interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m Jacqueline Harrett. I used to write non-fiction ‘stuff’ for teachers but now I’m supposed to be retired I have more time to indulge myself by writing creatively. I write in different genres – flash, short stories and stories for children. My debut crime novel, The Nesting Place, was published by Diamond Crime in November. I also co-author with my friend Janet Laugharne as J. L. Harland. Our debut, What Lies Between Them, will be published by Dixi Books in February 2022. Our joint interview is on the Feed My Reads website. 



When did your love of books begin?

As far back as I can remember. I was an only child and my mother taught me how to read before I started school. Reading was and still is one of my greatest joys. 



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I can remember writing my first ‘novel’ when I was about seven – complete with illustrations, of course. I started sending out short stories when I was about sixteen but then life got in the way, and I trained to be a teacher. My writing became more factual then although I still wrote stories, often for children, when I had the chance.



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I’ve published before but non-fiction authorship is quite different and, of course, the need for an online presence has increased since then. To be honest, I found it to be overwhelming, especially when I found out that the co-authored book was up for pre-order at the same time. Trying to cope with two websites is something else. Marketing is a new learning curve that is quite terrifying so I’m taking baby steps with that at present and hoping for a slow burn. I hadn’t realised how important reviews are to visibility as an author so now I make sure that I try to review as much as possible, even if only a couple of sentences. 



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Don’t give up. Stamina and resilience are essential. Keep learning – that is something that never stops. I love doing writing courses and learning about all sorts of other things as well as writing. Everything helps to stimulate the imagination.



Tell us about your book/books:

My crime novel, The Nesting Place, is a police procedural set in South Wales. When Megan Pritchard’s body is found in a field in the Vale of Glamorgan it looks like an accidental death. DI Mandy Wilde isn’t convinced. But what reason could any of Megan’s friends have to harm her? As the investigation proceeds, she finds out why being friends with Megan could be difficult and unravels a web of secrets and lies.

My other books are for teachers with ideas to stimulate children’s literacy through various cross-curricular ways. Exciting Writing, (Sage), won an award. All tried and tested teaching ideas. My passion for oral storytelling resulted in a mini-book – Tell me Another… Speaking, Listening and Learning in the Primary Classroom, (UKLA).



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I think that most people are supportive and it’s a very warm and welcoming community. It’s also an opportunity to find out about how other writers work and recommendations for reading too. Marvellous!



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading. I loved writing The Nesting Place and I hope that joy shows in the novel and that you want to follow Mandy Wilde when she finds herself in more complex investigations. 



Where can people connect with you?

My new website, courtesy of my son and his technological abilities, will soon be live at harrett.co.uk

You can email me there. I’ve got a Facebook page but I’m more active on Twitter as @DIMandyWilde.

 

A huge thank you to FeedmyReads for this opportunity to meet other readers and writers. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown