Michael A. Duffy interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi there, I’m Michael Duffy or Michael A Duffy as I am known as an author. I had to add the A when I found there were already a couple of Michael Duffy’s on Amazon. How very rude! Then again, I remembered that JK Rowling did OK adding her K. So I did think about being MA Duffy, but that made me sound like a scouse mother!
Anyhow, I recently retired from a stressed out life in the commercial world so that I can try out this authoring lark. It’s harder than I thought! For a start, I can’t even use my preferred name.


When did your love of books begin?

Who says I love books? I bleepin’ hate ‘em. Always cluttering up my life so that there’s always another one of the little pests waiting to be read. Well yes, I enjoy them, course I do. But doesn’t an alcoholic enjoy a drink? Anyway, sorry for going on. But I’m doing Book Free January. If it doesn’t exist, then I’m starting it. I’m also starting a new hashtag for other afflicted souls #BookFreeJanuary!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When I first saw a picture of Stephen King’s mansion.
Or it could have been when my mum was reading me ‘Rupert The Bear’ as a small child - and I disagreed with the character flaws of Rupert’s best friend, Bill Badger. He could be somewhat cowardly and I didn’t like that. I’d have written him as a braver soul, apparently!

How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I published my first novel in 2013, written while I was working full-time. It took a few years of on and off, a very bitty and unsatisfying process. I was a bit disappointed that it didn’t take the world by storm. A friend of mine, who plays in a famous Philharmonic Orchestra stopped my whingeing in its tracks. He basically said that to get to the top of his game he’d had to do years of studying and practicing. So why was I so entitled as to think I could just roll up, knock out my first novel - and the world would fall at my feet? That told me!
It certainly made me think, anyway. They say everybody has a novel in them. In some cases, I guess it should have stayed in! But I’m a lot more humble about the writing process these days. Writing is a master-craft to tame and I’m sure I can still improve tremendously- even though I am now a veteran of two novels. Practice makes perfect, after all. Or ‘as good as it gets’, to quote the title of a film. šŸ˜€


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I think most writers write because they can’t help themselves, it’s just in them. But my best advice is to heed the words of my orchestral friend above.


Tell us about your book/books:

I’ve just published ‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a kind of madcap comedy thriller. It’s about a downtrodden bunch of folk in an ordinary Lancashire town who each have a desire to take revenge on the town’s bully. This gets them into all sorts of trouble, which is the fun of the book.
My first book ‘Sixth Beatle’ was a far more serious affair, a psychological examination of a tortured mind. Even though it was serious in theme, people commented that they liked the comic relief I’d put in there. I started to realise I might be better off writing more lighted stuff - which suits my personality really. So, in the medium term, I am going to write in a comedy genre, even though things like good plot and rounded characters are still so important to me.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Well both writing and reading are, by their very nature, lonely pursuits. It’s nice to see people reaching out to share their passions and support one another. There seems to be some very warm and friendly souls in the bookworm community. Hopefully, I will get to know a few more of them.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Sorry.
Erm… besides that, hopefully you’d pick up my latest - its only mission is to entertain and hopefully give people a warm feeling inside. I know many books are deeper and more meaningful. But so many folk live demanding and stressful lives. I’m hoping that people will come to my books just to escape - to be transported to a madcap world where literally anything can happen! And while they are there, leave all their troubles behind.


Where can people connect with you?

I am @michaelduffy001 on Twitter. I’m also in the process of starting my website, but need to get my finger out on that one, sorry!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview