John Reid interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I was never either studious or a great reader of books until I was given a book as a Christmas present in about 1980. It was "The Odessa File" by Fredecick Forsyth. I was hooked.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Funnily enough, it was after watching a film, "Local Hero". The quaintness of the storyline told me, "I think I could tell stories like that. In fact, it is the kind of stuff I would like to write".


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I never really thought of becoming an author until I began writing articles for a local newspaper. I got bored with simple news items, so I began to send the paper short stories. It was when the paper's editors told me my short stories were receiving a popular audience that I decided to take things further, by publishing my first collection of short stories. That's where the process became difficult. In other words, finding an agent or publisher. None showing any interest, I went down the self-publishing route. That is OK if one can sell or self-promote with ease. I am not very good at self-promoting.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I always feel everyone has a story to tell. So, my advice is always, "let the ink flow" and see where the stream leads.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first, "The Skipping Verger and Other Tales", was published in 2013. It is a collection of 21 very short, illustrated, historical short stories, mostly themed upon eccentric and adventurous travellers to the Canary Islands since the end of the 19th century. 

My second, "A Shark in the Bath and Other Stories" was published in 2018. The title misleads one to suspect it may be a children's book. But it is not. In fact it is another collection of 8 much longer historical short stories, once again reflecting travels to Spain's Canary Islands. (You can see my interest in history and realise that I live in the islands if you look for "Travel Stories in Tenerife and the Canary Islands" on the internet.)

My third book, "El Hombre de La Guancha y otras historias" is in fact a compilation of my stories translated into Spanish. Basically it came in response to requests from my Spanish friends who said they could not read my other books because they were in English. Since then I have realised that my Spanish friends don't read anything but "Hola" magazine!!

My fourth book, a novel this time, is "The Journalist". It is a political thriller which has been in my head for over 30 years. The lock-down and lack of work as a result of the COVID pandemic gave me the opportunity to write it. The storyline tells how an ex-Army Lieutenant plunges into an arms-smuggling operation between Basque Separatists and the Irish Republican Army. A review describes it as "A fascinating glimpse into IRA/ETA links against a background of intrigue, ruthless killings and a passionate love affair!" From the excellent, but not enough reviews it has received, I regret that no mainline publisher or literary agent gave it a chance. Perhaps they will change their minds when the sequel is ready.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Most of us are ordinary, generous, fun-loving people, some more intense than others, and therefore take life too seriously at times. But we are all eager to speak, to listen and to learn...and the more we read and the more we understand that there are other voices, customs and traditions, often better and more logical than our own, the more complete we become.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If you enjoyed my stories, please share them or tell your friends to buy a copy. Please also drop reviews on Amazon/Goodreads, etc. As you know, we self-published authors need every help we can get.


Where can people connect with you?

I would love to hear from people. Either like and message me through FB at https://www.facebook.com/theskippingverger or send me an email at reidten@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview