C.G Versil interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I am Charisse Garcia, but my pen name is C.G Versil. I am a novelist, poet, and peer educator in training in the Philippines. I love writing young adult novels, posting feature articles, and currently indulging in the art of scriptwriting.


When did your love of books begin?

My love for books began during my childhood days. My mom had a few old books on the shelves so I decided to read some of them and even buy my own so I could continue. Most of my mother’s books were romantic-comedy while I read books that are in the thriller and crime genres.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

At a very young age — possibly seven. I’ve seen authors on book signings and I’ve been fascinated by how they all have their different styles of writing and unique plots. Though, I only became a writer when I was in high school since I had no clue where to try to post them and only wrote in notebooks back then.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Quite a bumpy but adventurous ride. I’ve only found out where to post my books and never really got an idea of how an actual novel starts. So, I tried writing one-shots, publishing them one by one. I had no experience of what it was like in the writing process so most of my works were quite rough and unedited. When a year passed, I decided to learn more about writing so I tried writing a full novel this time and everything clicked. The characters, the plots, I tried to focus on them more. However, since it was new to me, most of my novels had been ongoing but get completed eventually — though it always takes me months or years, unlike the others.During my high school days and I’ve finally reached my senior years, there I’ve eventually gotten the hang of it. The novels I had finally got the outlines they need and most of them are completed within the deadline that I set for myself. Like I said, quite bumpy but really fun. I’ve gotten reviews and other interviews as well now and that really helps me to improve more as a writer.It’s not as easy as people think it would be. It’s not sitting on a chair and finishing a book in one day or two. You eventually have to edit, get some feedback from other people, edit again, make sure there are no plot holes — what I’m trying to say is that it’s a long process and the book is not the only thing you have to deal with but you’ve also got to make sure that you’re driven enough to complete a book as well. Matter of discipline and a bit of luck on the side, it might work.But, it’s quite fun to be a writer. It really does pay off in the end.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

It might not be an easy path but it’s all about the experience. If you want to write something that you love or you think people would love and it’s not written yet, then go full sail on it. But, along that adventure, there would be strong waves you might encounter — wherein in real life, there might be some setbacks such as trying to have the motivation to finish a book, busy schedules, or even yourself preventing you from what you’re doing. 

Though, if ever you did get past that, then congratulations. You’ve done well and you can finally say you made it. You should be proud of what you have experienced. If it was a good one, you can cherish it as a memory of being a writer, if it’s a bit harsh, then call it an experience of an artist such as yourself.Other than this, do not pressure yourself on writing. Just keep on doing it and don't compare your works to others. Be yourself and there's no need to copy what others do because you got you're on your way and you'll succeed in what you do. There are some of your readers who are willing to read what you create. The right time will come — but in the meantime, keep on trying, improve, and of course, smile while you're at it.


Tell us about your book/books:

Most of my novels are focused on romantic comedies, thrillers, fantasy, or even give highlights on mental health issues. Currently, I'm trying poetry, scriptwriting, and trying different genres to highlight various cultures and languages.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Really supportive and I could see a lot of talented artists with creative minds. They're also friendly and the ones where you could learn a lot from them. Most of them are very charismatic and make you feel like you're a part of a big family.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for supporting me every step of the way. You've all been my fireflies that always brighten up my day. I really appreciate the feedback and reactions that you give. It helps me improve a lot as a writer and learn more. I want to enjoy my journey as a writer with you. I wouldn't have made it this far without you. 

My books have a lot of messages that I want to share and I really do appreciate your messages that some of my books had inspired you or touched your hearts. It really means a lot to me so thank you for spending years with me on this writing journey. I hope I can be the entertainment, the crying shoulder, or the one to motivate you as I write more novels in the future.


Where can people connect with you?

You can interact with me through these links!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview