Howard R. Potts interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello, My name is Howard R Potts. I am an intellectual countryman with eclectic tastes and as a Gemini, I have to be busy doing something, so my hobbies are many and very diverse. Travel, languages, sociology, psychology, humour and music from 1600's to present day, of every genre. My passion in life is horses but I also like fast cars, and have driven Ferrari's and Lambourghini's at 130 MPH. Nothing phases me.


When did your love of books begin?

I was brought up in a small mining village in County Durham and went to the village Primary School. Pippi Longstocking was the first book we read or had read to us at school and I loved it. So that fuelled my lust for books, and at Secondary School we read My Family and other animal's by Gerald Durrell, which again, I loved, and it certainly was brought to life when I lived in Greece for 8 years later on in life.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

On my return to the UK in 1990, having spent 11 years abroad, a policemen friend and I started to catalogue the jokes we heard in the village pub, and amassed 600, which i self published on Amazon Kindle. It was selling like hot cakes until somebody at the top decided that I couldn't have copyright and it was pulled from the shelves. My current published book fell out of my head after Therapy as a means of getting the BIG PICTURE. I did, however, write another book, THE HUNTING SET, with outrageous stories of the people who ride with our local hunts. I did change their names but decided that I would be sued through the courts, albeit for telling the truth. Some of the script will be included in my next book which is 40% written.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I took to being an author like a duck to water, but I had written brochures etc for the holiday companies I worked for abroad. I self published my current book on Kindle to test the water, under a different name, and due to its success I decided to publish.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write your book and get it published or self publish, but the process doesn't stop there. YOU have to market it! Your publisher will do some of it, but if you do some, your book will become known a lot quicker.


Tell us about your book/books:

Joke Book. now shelved due to copyright.
The Hunting Set. Outrageous stories of the social lives of the people who hunt. Also shelved but will be partly covered in my next book, Life as I lived it!
A Mile in my Shoes, a travel reps tale, currently on sale on Amazon and in 550 x Dymoch's Bookstores in Australia, 627 x Barnes & Noble Stores across USA, 1700 x WH Smiths and 283 x Waterstones in the UK, also in Canada and UAE.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

On Twitter there is a marvellous array of helpful and friendly people in the community. Any questions are dealt with in a friendly and constructive way. They are an inspiration. On Facebook, I do feel that they sell the most books for me but there can be some caustic comments that I feel are totally un necessary.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Open your hearts and minds and let the story carry you along. I write in a dynamic & accessible writing style that delivers an enhanced appeal to the reader. ( according to my publisher). My story may take you to places you have never been before, so enjoy the moments. 


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter. @leastroad just type Howard Royston Potts in Search and it will show up. I tend to shun Facebook these days because of the inane content and advertising.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown