E V Radwinter interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello readers, I am E V Radwinter. I have recently published my debut novel, Loves Lost and Found, which is a contemporary romance set in the beautiful market town of Saffron Walden in Essex. 


When did your love of books begin?

Good question. I don't actually remember a time when I didn't have my head in a book. I would find an author I liked and then read every book they had written. Books were and are my world. 

I also remember visiting the home of Evelyn Anthony as a child and being inspired by the library where she wrote. Following the visit I wrote to Evelyn and was beyond thrilled when my letter was answered. I still have my collection of Evelyn Anthony books although the letter, sadly, disappeared at some point over the intervening years.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When I was young my Mother and Grandmother always loved the descriptive letters and stories I wrote and told me that I should be an author.  Their encouragement stuck with me.

Over the years I have started writing numerous books but the storyline always petered out and the writing stopped as I didn't know how or where the story was going. Then, shortly after the devastating death of my Mother an idea came to me. I started writing, and the story just flowed out of me. Four years later my debut novel was published and is dedicated to my inspiring Mother.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

That is not a simple or straightforward question. 

I loved the writing, the creative process, the joy of turning ideas into pages. I was extremely lucky to have the support of two friends (both of whom are published authors) who gave me encouragement, constructive feedback and guidance.

I did try to go down the traditional publishing route but found the anxiety when waiting to hear back from publishers was not for me, so decided to go down the self-publishing route. This worked well for me as I was able to retain control over the process, although obviously it was a more expensive route. I have my fingers tightly crossed that I will sell enough copies to recoup my investment. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Actually I have written a blog on this very topic, 'What I wish I’d known before…' can be found: https://bit.ly/EVRblog 

I think some of the key things here are:
  • Copyright - this is complex and if you are making reference to films, TV, books, music it is good to check these out before you write about them and they become ingrained in your story. It is easier to avoid than risk infringing copyright.
  • Mentors/Support - if possible, show your book to friends and family and ask for feedback. Does the plot work? Are there any gaps or anything that does not quite add up? Do they like the characters? Did they want to read to the end of the book?
  • Publishing - there are numerous options, so take the time to investigate them and go with the one that works best for you.
  • Reviews - these are key to raising your book's profile on retailer websites and also on a personal note to help with the development of future books. Always relish the good reviews and where the reviews are less positive remember even the top selling books will not be for everyone. We all have different tastes, what is a five-star review for someone might be a two-star review for someone else. The skill is focusing on the five!
  • Writing Community - join the amazing writing communities available on social media, it is a safe, warm, supportive and rewarding place to be.
  • Above all enjoy it - enjoy being creative. Enjoy living with your characters. Enjoy being an author, even if you are unpublished for now. And finally, enjoy the journey.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut novel, Loves Lost and Found, is a heartfelt book of, and about, love.  


Fate has often conspired against Chloe. So, when an old flame, Ed, reappears out of the blue, Chloe must decide whether she will succumb to the euphoric, addictive and giddy happiness of a rekindled romance, or close her heart to love in order to protect herself from the emptiness left by previous broken hearts.  

Chloe has worked hard to get to where she is professionally, to be successful. Although she has been in love and been loved, she has not yet found the ‘happily ever after’ that she longed for... until, possibly, now. Maybe, just maybe, this time fate will push her in the right direction.

But when past hurt haunts the present will Chloe embrace the thrill of the rollercoaster ride, or let her fear of falling stop her from getting on it?



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

As I mentioned above, the writing and reading communities are totally awesome, so supportive and helpful. Every writer is also a reader and I have been made to feel totally at home in the group. The only problem is I now have a massive TBR (to be read) pile of books and with a full-time job, a second book in progress and the normal life commitments it might take me a while to get through it - and yet, I cannot help myself, supporting authors is very important.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you. Thank you for investing your time and money in my book. I really hope that you enjoyed the romance. Of course, if you did then I will be extremely grateful if you would be kind enough to write and post a review. Thank you again for buying my book, as a self-published author every sale makes a difference. 


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter: @e_v_radwinter
You can find out more about my book and purchase a copy: https://bit.ly/EVRbook


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview