Donna Steele interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I think on the first day of first grade. I remember racing home to tell Momma that I could read the word "Oh look." I still remember it and how excited I was. I haven't stopped yet.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Probably that same day. I recently found a manuscript when my husband and I retired and downsized, written when I was seven. It won't see the light of day, but I was trying even then. I finished my first book (also in the pile under the bed) at sixteen.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I went the fanfic route. It never occurred to me that I would ever be published. I wrote for myself and didn't let anyone read it. When The X-Files came out I started writing stories based on those characters. I'd never heard of fanfic at the time. A co-worker got hold of one of my stories by accident, read it and loved it. I had a fan base of one for ages. She's the one that posted it to the internet. I didn't know until I got some fanmail. It toughened my skin and another fanfic writer dragged me kicking and screaming into the light. Now 39 books later, she was right!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write! Just write, whether it's for you or for anyone else to read. Nora Roberts said "You can't edit an empty page." Truer words were never spoken. It's not going to be perfect, but if it's only in your head, you'll never know, and I'll never be able to read it.


Tell us about your book/books: What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I have been so thrilled that authors support and promote other writers. Women supporting women. I wasn't used to that, coming from the corporate world, but it's so thrilling to see and I do my best to pay it forward. My books are paranormal, sci fi and contemporary romance. I love that little twist where everything looks normal on the surface, but... I've written psychics, ghosts, aliens, time travel, colonization, shifters - and have loved them all. My new series, coming in January, is Unknown Tasks - you don't know how she does what she does to save people, but it's undeniable...


Give different genres a try. You might not know what you'll find and truly enjoy. I beta-d a zombie story the other day for a friend. Definitely NOT my genre, but the story was good and if I hadn't tried it, I'd never have known that. I write paranormal romance - but growing up that wasn't even a thing, now I devour it.



Where can people connect with you?

I'm easy to find. My page is www.steelestories.com, and you can sign up for my newsletter at www.steelestories.com/newsletter/.  I'm also on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Goodreads, Bookbub and AllAuthor as Donna Steele. I'd love to hear from you.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview