Clare Howse interview

 AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I am a new author. I have spent my adulthood working hard and enjoying life but have never felt a sense of achievement. I decided to venture into the world of writing and to use my imagination to bring my thoughts and ideas into the world of books. I have a rescued tortoise called Dwayne and he has brought so much joy to the household. We all love him, even Zorro the cat. Dwayne has inspired my stories with my first book based on his first Christmas with us. 


When did your love of books begin?

I loved the Enid Blyton stories as a child. However I remember reading Flowers In The Attic by Virginia Andrews as a young adult and that was my first foray into a more mature book world. I have read it since and the love for tbe book is still there. A turning point was reading The Silence Of The Lambs as part of my English GCSE studies. I digested and assessed and evaluated the book in stages achieving wonderful feedback which I remember to this day. However it also allowed to really get into a story and become completely absorbed by it. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have always loved books and reading but have never had the confidence to write my own stories, let alone become an author. I took the brave step a couple of years ago thinking nothing would come of it and cried when copies of my book were delivered. It has yet to sink in that I have written a book and it exists for everyone to enjoy. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Daunting! I was bamboozled with jargon and processes which were completely alien to me. However my publishers Austin Macauley walked me through everything. I had a lot of influence in the end result which I never expected and was always listened to and valued. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be brave and do it. What is the worst that can happen?!? It is liberating to put into black and white your own words and thoughts. It is exciting to think that others will enjoy them too. Be prepared for knock backs and negativity - you can never please everyone. They will be in the minority. 


Tell us about your book/books:

My first book is about my tortoise Dwayne and his wish to enjoy Christmas. It is festive and uses the imagination of Dwayne and the cats to see him fulfill his dream with some planning! The second book is in the process of being created by my publishers. Dwayne will be morphed into a dinosaur. I hope my stories encourage children to use their own imaginations and perhaps think about their own pets and animals and what they could potentially get up to. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Everyone has each others best interests at heart. Feedback is constructive and there is always positivity across the community. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Use your imagination and see where it takes you. Use the time reading to switch off and become engrossed in the story. Let your mind wander! 


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter: @clare_howse


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview