Meet the community - Jane Yates

 A little introduction:

Jane lives in the historic city of Oxford, England and is a massive lover of the Pitt Rivers museum, she is amazed and inspired by its wondrous array of objects. Being a museum of anthropology and world archaeology, Jane often finds herself influenced by its exhibitions. And indeed it has helped Jane write a trilogy for children – the Paradox Child series.

Jane is not only a mother, artist and storyteller, but dyslexic too, which only highlights her success even more. Jane refuses to allow the disorder to halt her dreams and continues to enjoy her favourite hobbies. Jane is a lover of steampunk, adventure and children’s stories, which often play a huge role in her own books.



What made you fall in love with books?

My mother was a Sunday school teacher, she used to read aloud to me as a child. She was very good and made up voices for the good and bad characters. It was the greatest adventure a small child could have and stated a lifelong love for stories. 


Which genres do you prefer to read?

SteamPunk or YA

I love steampunk and so naturally fell into it. Also I worked in a Victorian museum so was surrounded by wonderful objects from the past that captured my imagination.

Plus I write Young adult, I don’t think I have ever grown up!

There is something magical in everything, even everyday things if you look.

I like to read Young adult books the best as I do find reading rather hard work. I listen to audio books as well.


What are your favourite books you've read so far and why?

Modern Indie author Amy Good. Her book Rooted has werewolves and people who change into animals. The way Amy finishes a chapter – in way you just have to read the next. Just one more page!!!! This was the fastest book I have ever read. I was captivated from start to finish.

I also love every bit of Dan Thompson’s work, Jack Croxall’s Tethers trilogy as well as Sharon Sant’s Sky Song trilogy. Not forgetting Jaimie Admans, Paul Redfern and Igarashi Mari.



Which characters have you most loved in the books you've read to date and why?

The ones I grew up with are always my fav. Like Eeyore – the sad donkey by AA Milne’s Winnie the Pooh.


What made you decide to become a part of our little book based community?

Indie writers are the best. They are kind and write reviews for each other’s work.

Here are some of my reviews https://amreadingamwriting.wordpress.com/my-awesome-friends/my-reviews/


What do you love most about the book community?

Everybody is strapped for time but with the book community its not a full-time gig. Unless your Fraser, who works tirelessly at it. You can give as much or as little time as you have spare.



Connect with Jane on Twitter here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview