S. Kirk Pierzchala interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I am a life-long resident of the Pacific Northwest, and come from a long line of creative women, mostly artists. My training is in fine art, but my first love was writing. However, when I chose to homeschool my five kids, my dreams of becoming a published author needed to be put on hold a bit. Now that the kids are older and a little less time-intensive, I have rediscovered my passion for writing. Recently, my short fiction and non-fiction pieces have been published in local and national publications, such as: The Northwest ConnectionCatholic World Report and Fellowship and Fairydust


When did your love of books begin?

That's a tough question, as I have been reading as long as I can remember. However, I have distinct memories of being captivated by picture books at age six or so, as well as reading the Voyage of the Dawn Treader at about that same age.  For much of my childhood, we did not have a television set, so I pretty much always had my nose in a book, and I believe that was crucial to helping my imagination develop.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I think I was about fourteen when the idea of becoming an author occurred to me. I seem to recall that about then, I began drafting short stories and novellas. Fortunately for the public, these are all lost!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Regarding the process of becoming an author, I find the actual writing to be the easiest part. When I was preparing my book, Echoes Through Distant Glass for publication, I weighed the pros and cons of traditional publishing vs. self-publishing. One of the reasons I decided to self-publish was because I was excited by the prospect of learning all the steps more or less on my own. Well, not alone, as there are tons of resources and mentors out there for the asking! In any case, I found the self-publishing route to be scary at times, but also empowering.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

To anyone wishing to become an author, I would say: have a clear idea of your motivation. If you think you are going to get rich and famous quickly, you are definitely in the wrong line of work! But if you are haunted by worlds, characters, scenes, words---if these won't let go of you and you are driven to capture them in prose, then keep at it and you may connect with the right readers in time! Also, remember that book marketing is a separate business from book writing, so be prepared to do a lot of research and work in that area.


Tell us about your book/books:

Currently, I am consumed by the creation of my "Beyond Cascadia" near-future series. Politics, bioengineering and technology are all important factors in my fictional world, but I really love focusing on plot and characters. I think my readers appreciate all the effort I put into making my characters flesh-and-blood, and how I show them grappling with universal truths about humanity's plight, the constant battle between good and evil. I have three titles published so far: Echoes Through Distant GlassEclipse Rising and Solitude of Light. The fourth in the series, Harshest Dawn, is scheduled to be released by the end of March of this year. I hope to have the whole series wrapped up in seven volumes, but given how head-strong and trouble-prone some of my characters are, we might need an eighth book! 





What do you love about the writing/reading community?

What I love about the writing community: the support and encouragement I have received on this incredible journey! What I love about the reading community: when a reader leaves a review or even contacts me directly to say how much they loved a book! 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would love to tell my readers how grateful I am for their support! Investing money in a new writer, devoting time and attention to a fictional world, bonding with imaginary characters and following their adventures—these are big commitments, and I feel honored each and every time that happens.


Where can people connect with you?

People are welcome to connect with via:
Twitter: @SKirkPierzchala 
Goodreads
and of course, I would love for everyone to keep in touch by signing up for updates at my website: www.skirkpierzchala.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview