Heather Burnside interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi, my name is Heather Burnside, and I am a writer of gritty urban crime novels set in Manchester. I have published thirteen novels to date and most of them have gone on to become Amazon category bestsellers.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began from a very young age. I was constantly at the library until I exhausted almost everything available in the children's fiction section and began reading non-fiction books on various topics.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Around twenty-five years ago. I had taken a career break to raise a family and knew I didn’t want to return to my former career in credit control. I enrolled on a writing course and loved it. I knew from that moment that I wanted to write for a living. It opened up a creative side of me, which had been lying dormant up to that point.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Challenging, worrying, exciting, exhilarating and much more. The worrying side is because, by and large, it isn’t a lucrative career choice. If you’re with a publisher, you have no idea how much you are going to earn that month in royalties, so it makes budgeting difficult.

However, all the positives of being a writer outweigh the worry. I gain satisfaction from it in so many ways: when I’ve had a good writing day, when readers contact me to say how much they enjoy my books, when I receive positive reviews and when my books rank well on Amazon.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I know it’s a cliché but just go for it. Don’t be afraid to publish independently if you don’t find a publisher or agent straightaway. There are so many ways to promote yourself as an independent author and some publishers source writers by checking out their books on Amazon, which is what happened to me.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have published thirteen novels to date and am currently working on my fourteenth and fifteenth. My novels come under the general banner of ‘gangland’ although I prefer to think of them as gritty urban crime since they deal with more than just gangs.

I have published two standalone novels, two trilogies and a series of five books called ‘The Working Girls’, which explores the world of sex workers.




What do you love about the writing/reading community?

It is a very positive space and people are so friendly and welcoming.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for all your support and loyalty over the years.


Where can people connect with you?

Mailing List: http://eepurl.com/CP6YP

Website: https://heatherburnside.com/ 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeatherBurnsideAuthor

Twitter: https://twitter.com/heatherbwriter


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview