Tina Baker interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

Mine wasn’t a reading family. My dad was a window cleaner, my mum a cleaner via the fairground community. But I loved the escape of books - mainly library books as we didn’t have a lot of cash.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Even as a kid I wanted to write a book, but I just thought ‘people like me’ - working class, traveler community - didn’t get to do that. I was once bullied at school for daring to enter a writing competition. Writing wasn’t encouraged. Even some teachers told me to give up studying English & concentrate on science exams so I could get a good job.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It still doesn’t feel real having 3 books traditionally published. It’s Monday blowing to see them in bookshops. I cried when I first saw one of my books 'in the wild'. I turned down a deal to have my first novel on ebooks only as I read mostly paperbacks and wanted to feel my book in my hand. It’s both wonderful & terrifying. I don’t want to let people down - readers or my publisher - but also want to stay true to what I want to write.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Anyone who wants to be an author should go for it. There’s no secret, just do the writing & be persistent. I waited so long! It was only when my dad died that I went back to University & did an MA in Novel Writing that I made myself do it. You can self-publish these days, even if the trad publishers don't take you on.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first novel, Call Me Mummy, was a number 1 bestseller on Kindle/ ebooks. It came out when all the bookshops were closed in the pandemic & I thought it was all over before it began! It’s the story of a woman desperate for a child who steals one - and the mother who loses the child being vilified for it.
Nasty Little Cuts was next - the story of a toxic marriage that implodes just before Xmas.
Make Me Clean is the story of a cleaner who cleans up a lot more than dust. Bloodstains are involved. Like Breaking Bad it looks at how good people make morally ambiguous decisions. Also features cats, dementia, Spain.
All my books so far are dark domestic noir, psychological thriller/ crime/ literary with a lot of coal black humour.
All available via Amazon, audiobooks, Waterstones etc



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the support of the writing/reading community. Comments online keep me going, as do sharing daft Gifs. And I want us all to succeed!!! I love meeting people I’ve read in real life too.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Genuine thanks to all readers! Reviews really help. As do buying books!


Where can people connect with you?

Please connect with me on twitter @TinaBakerBooks, or insta, facebook & TikTok @tinabakerbooks


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview