Stephanie Henson interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi. My name is Stephanie Henson and I am a children’s author. I also write the occasional grown-up piece and my work has been published online and in print. I have a degree in Communications and a Publishing and Professional Writing Certificate from Rider University. My background is in Advertising and Marketing and most of my previous writing experience was through those professional roles. I am passionate about KidLit and Children’s Poetry. I live in PA with my husband, two kids, and Puggle Elsie. I enjoy reading, theatre, mindless web searching, Netflix binges, sunflowers, sports, and anything related to coffee!


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books came very early on in my childhood. I was never the kid to gravitate toward dolls but I always had a book in my hand. Judy Blume was my favorite author back then and I still enjoy her stories to this day. Her books had a tremendous impact on me and she is one of the reasons I decided to write for children. I love everything about books. The escape, the immersion into a different world, and the various places reading can take you. I also love bookstores and one of my favorite things to do is walk around, inhaling the scent of the pages, with a latte in hand. My favorite genres to read are children’s fiction, children’s poetry, biographies, and romance. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

From a very early age. My mom told me when I was 8 years old that I had a talent for writing. That always stuck with me. I enjoyed writing and creating and wanted to be able to make my own mark. Writing a book was always this dream that I had as a little girl that never quite went away. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s not for the faint of heart. The actual writing aspect is amazing and personally rewarding, however, it is not easy to get your words out there. Querying agents and publishers is a long process and the rejections are sometimes defeating. But please know that your yes is out there and when it comes it will validate all of the hard work, sweat, and tears.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Keep writing. Keep reading. You never know where your inspiration will come from. The focus should always be on your own writing and how to make it as good as it can possibly be. Take online classes/webinars, perfect your craft, and embrace every opportunity to learn and grow. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I have three children’s books that are in the mix right now. My debut Children’s Poetry collection with Experiments in Fiction Affiliate Publishing is entitled In the Right Lane is currently available on Amazon. It hit Number One New Release in Children’s Poetry in December. It is an SEL-based collection that aims to help kids manage emotions, deal with challenges, and build self-confidence. I love to write Social Emotional Learning focused pieces to give kids the tools they need to cope and navigate different situations that may come up at their age.


My second book is in production now with Buzgaga Books and should release on Amazon in the coming weeks. It is also SEL focused and is a collection of short stories for the tween audience entitled BeTween Now and Later. It is a fully illustrated book and the artist is incredible. The stories are about friendship, struggles with confidence, and dealing with pesky growing-up issues. There are ten short stories in total that run the gamut of adolescent social situations. 

Finally, I have another Children’s poetry book releasing through the Alien Buddha Press on April 3rd entitled Poems Stuck in My Brain which is a mix of SEL-inspired poetry meant to inform and inspire, along with pieces intended to purely entertain kids, touching on the topics of seasons, nature, and love: a mix of wonder and awe for children.

I currently have an agent and have three books on submission. In addition to children’s poetry and short stories, I also write Lyrical Picture Books and Middle-Grade Contemporary. I am working on my first MG Novel in Verse and hope to finish it this year. I try to weave poetic elements in everything that I write.





What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the support and advice they give. Everyone roots for one another. If you are having a bad day, they are there to lift you up and keep you going. They understand the ups and downs of this industry so it’s great to be able to connect with like-minded people. There is also so much information, tips, and writing opportunities to be found within these communities. It’s a vital resource for anyone just starting out.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading my words and making my dreams to help children through my writing come true. I would not be able to do what I do without your support. I hope that you connect with my poetry and stories and that it somehow helps you. I’d love to hear what you think so feel free to reach out anytime!


Where can people connect with you?

I am very active in the Twitter writing community and my handle is @stepha_henson.  I also have a web page where people can find more information about me and snippets of my work. It’s stephanie-henson.weebly.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview