S.L. Motes interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I'm S.L.Motes, Sharon Motes. I'm a mother of 5 daughters, all young adults, and of 2 crazy fur babies. I'm married to a disabled veteran for 16 wonderful years. I love hot tea, meditating, and reading/ writing. Life has been hard more than easy for me, which has taught me to be empathic towards others. I leave bits of myself in my novels in hopes of changing a life for the better. 


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began in second grade, when I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. That was about 35 years ago and to this day, I remember the shock I felt when Aslan sacrificed himself. The sadness that came over me for that character is something that has stuck with me. After that, I was hooked. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When I was in my mid twenties, I began having the wish to be an author. My mother had poems published. A few Aunts are self published, and my older sister has a way with words like no other. She wanted to write a novel,  and was told she should by a professor, but she claimed she was too lazy to sit at a computer for hours, days, and months writing a novel. It was too much work. I wanted her to be published so bad, because she really is a talented writer, so I asked her if she'd write a novel with me. We wrote the first few chapters by hand, and then she decided she was done. I, on the other hand, fell in love with the story and writing. I didn't want to stop, so I typed up the first draft on my computer and edited like a crazy person. I did send out queries, 2 agents asked for the manuscript, but ultimately my novel was too long, and both passed. I continued writing 2 more novels and rewrote the one I had written with my older sister many times over the years. It took on a life of its own and morphed into something I never thought I'd write about - The Sacrificial Lamb which is the first novel in my Immortal Secrets series. I'm still sending out those queries, hoping against hope that an agent will love it as much as I do. I have considered self publishing. My younger sister self published and is doing great. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process for becoming an author is demanding and time consuming, but well worth the effort. There are no words for the feeling you get when someone reads your novel and loves it. Recently, I had an agent tell me she was rooting for me on the sidelines. I don't know why, since she loved it, that she passed on it. You also have to get used to disappointment, but learn from the ones who passed on you instead of letting them get you down. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Don't get frustrated. It's a learning process and it takes time. Write your novel, put your heart and soul into it, and then forget about it for about a month. After that month, edit. You'll have a fresher view. 


Tell us about your book/books:

The Sacrificial Lamb is the first novel in the Immortal Secrets series, a YA fantasy. It follows Accalia, the protagonist, a mixbreed, who learns her fate as a sacrificial lamb but discovers forbidden powers within her and begins a journey of self discovery in hopes of finding another way to save the mixbreed population. It also follows Solom, the antagonist, the last of his race, who raises Accalia for the slaughter to save the greater good. Or so it seems. The series as a whole is insight to the supernatural war that inadvertently orchestrates the rise to Earth's Antichrist. 
Currently, I'm writing The Forever Life,  a time travel romance. It's about Roselyn's life shattering and an opportunity arising to reclaim all she's lost. But it comes with a price she may not be willing to pay. It's kind of hot and heavy in the romance scenes. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

My younger sister is a self published author. She's the one who told me about Twitter and the writing/ reading community. I opened a Twitter account many, many years ago, but then I let it go, until recently. I learned that this community is everything she said it was, friendly and supportive. I've only been back on Twitter maybe a few weeks and the outpouring of support I'm receiving as a new author is humbling. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

To my future readers, I would say you are as special to me as my novel is, there will always be a place in my heart for you. 


Where can people connect with you?

I post small samples of The Sacrificial Lamb on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SharonCarbone?t=WsR30VGFT_tmSaSkVr1O3A&s=09
And readers can read the whole novel on wattpad and leave comments: https://www.wattpad.com/user/SharonCarboneMotes
Parts of The Forever Life are on there too. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview