Jennifer Doehring interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello! I'm Jennifer. I'm part German and part Native American author- illustrator of children's picture books. Born and raised on the West Coast, I received my fine art degree from the University of California- Irvine, and I own an art studio called Palette Passions, where I teach painting and drawing to students of all ages. My work is shown and sold in galleries locally and internationally, as well as online. I love backpacking, hiking, playing jazz, and traveling abroad. I've explored around 30 countries and it fuels most of my creativity when it comes to writing and illustrating!


When did your love of books begin?

I've loved books for as long as I can remember! Book fairs at school and the library were my safe spots as a child, but the more I read, the more I became fascinated with the picture book realm specifically. Seeing how artists created imaginary worlds and moods with simple color palettes and light made me fall in love with almost every illustrated book I picked up. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

As soon as I read Chris Van Allsburg's POLAR EXPRESS, I knew I wanted to do exactly that. The way that Allsburg illustrated perspective was incredible. His story concepts were also the most imaginative I'd ever read for the time. Of course, I never thought I could write and illustrate my own books, so it stayed a dream that I never could quite reach. But one day many years later, POLAR EXPRESS led me to attempt my own first picture book, which was also Christmas themed. Needless to say it never went anywhere, but still, it stoked the fire that catapulted me on the path to becoming the author I am today. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process for me was a huge zigzag scribbled mess to be honest. From writing picture books that had over two thousand words (ridiculous), changing my illustration style from traditional to digital, signing on with an agent that became a complete nightmare and realizing I had to start from scratch all over again, to finding the amazing agent I have now. Phew! But one thing that never waivered for me was the fact that I knew I wanted to do this, no matter how long it took or how hard I had to work. I think it's important to develop your writing community, to put yourself out there on social media and to join groups like SCBWI. It got me on the right path for my genre (picture books), and it made me even more excited to keep pressing onward! 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I will admit- it's a loooooong windy road full of ups and downs. Don't expect this to be something you can do as a simple side hobby. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's easy to get published like I did when I started! The writing industry is extremely competitive, and if you're looking to make a quick buck, this career isn't for you. This isn't to discourage you, but merely to prepare you. You have to be absolutely passionate about this industry and be willing to work on your craft for years without making any money. Once you accept that, everything will fall into place. Be diligent, be consistent, and I promise the rewards will come your way.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have two picture books that I've written and illustrated out on submission right now, so fingers crossed for me guys! They're both near and dear to my heart, and deal with nature, kindness, friendship and learning to work together for the greater good. If you'd like to hear snippets of each, or see some of the book's illustrations, head over to my website and click on the "picture books" tab. 
I'm also in the process of writing a hiker's journal for the adult market, and although I didn't see myself going this direction when I started my writing career, I'm very excited and happy that I have! I can't wait to tell you all more. Please feel free to keep up with my publishing journey on social media!


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how supportive they are! It's amazing how people who don't even know you personally can be so caring, kind, and uplifting. It's done wonders for my confidence, especially when you start getting imposter's syndrome! This world is so full of sorrows, it's wonderful to know that there's an online community that will always have your back. We all need love the most, especially now. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Don't. Give. Up. 
If I had given up at the first rejection, or the first road block, or the first time it felt all too much, I wouldn't be where I am right now. The road to success is paved with rejection, so don't let that stop you. You will get there, eventually. I think the biggest thing I had to learn is persistence and patience (neither of which I'm very good at, haha!). I also have to give a big portion of thanks to my writing community on Twitter. They were so pivotal in me continuing to have the strength to move forward regardless of the negativity I was telling myself each time I felt down. So make sure to keep connections open through your whole process, because you never know what amazing things are right around the corner!


Where can people connect with you?

Many places! You can follow me on Instagram: @jenniferdoehringbooks, or Twitter: @jendoehring or you can check out my website: www.jenniferdoehringbooks.com
I also have a few illustrator profiles where you can view my work: 
Please feel free to follow, send a message to say hi, or whatever! I love building my writing community and one can never have too many friends. :)
If you're interested in any kidlit project, please contact my literary agent: 
Sorche Fairbank


Comments

  1. Great interview! I love getting behind the scenes insights from authors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown