Jemahl Evans interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Born in Bradford Upon Avon to nomadic Welsh school teachers; Jemahl was brought up in a West Wales mining village during the 70s and 80s. He has pursued a lifelong passion for History, inspired by his grandfather’s stories and legends. Jemahl was educated in Christ College Brecon, St Mary’s University, and U.W.E. Bristol.

Jemahl graduated with an MA in Medieval History, and then worked for IBM in London. At the turn of the millennium, he left the grind of the office and spent a couple of years travelling and working abroad. After time spent in India, Australia, and South East Asia he returned to Britain and took up a teaching post in West London in 2005. He left his role as Head of Year in the Heathland School in 2010, and returned to Wales citing hiraeth.

His Blandford Candy series of comedic books set during the English Civil War and Restoration have been critically acclaimed, and he followed this with a series of novellas on the life of Thomas Becket in 2020. His latest novel is The Charioteer released in 2021 is set during the last days of the Roman Empire.


When did your love of books begin?

My parents were both teachers so books were everywhere growing up, but I was very ill as a child with a couple of operations, numerous hospital stays and months of recuperation. That meant I couldn’t do very much and was often confined to bed, which as a young lad was incredibly frustrating, especially in the summer months when everyone was outside. Books were my way to escape the hospital, or doctors, or bedroom, and I just started devouring them. The power of words to take you to another time or place have fascinated me ever since.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’m not sure I ever really had a ‘wish’ to be an author. Originally I thought it would be something I could use as teaching materials for school, but as I wrote more and got help from actual writers things started to fall into place. Six books later I still have an overwhelming imposter syndrome, and am constantly surprised and pleased people enjoy my books. Historical comedy is a bit niche so I didn’t ever really expect to be published traditionally, so everything that has happened has been a bonus.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I love the editing process, whist writing the first draft is a slog. The Blandford books are beautifully done which is in no small part down to the editor being sympathetic to my vision and understanding how to really polish the books. Much of a writer’s life is alone working on your vision, so it’s good when it starts to go out to other people and they get it and help you make it better.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Read a lot, write every day, and remember that it’s a marathon not a sprint. Be brutal when you edit, and don’t plan on getting rich. Don’t listen to feedback from friends and family, they are biased, get people who don’t know you or care if they upset you to read them and take as much criticism as you can – it’s hard, deflating, and demoralizing, but it will help you improve your work.


Tell us about your book/books:

I write historical fiction with a humorous tone similar to Flashman or Blackadder. My main series is set during the Seventeenth Century following the life of the loveable rogue and raconteur Blandford Candy, an ancestor to Colonel Blimp. I have a series of novellas about Thomas Becket, and my most recent novel The Charioteer is about a bunch of Romans who stole the secret of silk, based on a real entry from Procopius’ History. All are available from Sharpe Books in print, kindle and audiobook.







What do you love about the writing/reading community?

It is an incredibly supportive group. My first two books were written with the old Harper Collins website Authonomy giving me constant feedback from fellow writers. It’s a real shame that site was closed as it had so many diamonds waiting to be picked up, and many were. I got picked up because of a recommendation from another author there, and helped every step of the way by the people I met – and hopefully helped some back in return. Social media is a great way for writers to connect with each other and their readers, and the writing community tends not to be toxic.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Oh, I know. I left book 4 (The Emerald Cross, set in the fledgling American colonies) on a bit of a cliffhanger and I have had a few emails asking when the next one is coming. Book 5 is planned for next year, but, I should finish my current wip (tentatively named A Visit to Bedlam) by the summer and that features many characters from the main series. I hope that will satiate those hungrily waiting for more Blandford. The pandemic did kill off momentum somewhat, and my mum has been particularly ill the last eighteen months making writing comedy harder than normal. So, please do bear with me, it is coming and I’m not going full George R.R. Martin.


Where can people connect with you?

You can find me on twitter: @Temulkar Instagram: @jemahlevans71 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheLastRoundhead or my blog https://jemahlevans.wixsite.com/jemahlevans


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview