Jeff McIntyre interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I was four years old when my mother began reading with me. She did her best to learn how to pronounce dinosaur names so that I would know how to pronounce them. It's a lot to ask a single mother pre-internet to figure out how to pronounce pterodactyl, triceratops, and diplodocus.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Fifteen years ago, I was traveling a lot for my day job. During those trips, I came up with a number of story ideas that I jotted down in a little notebook. At the time, I didn't know if I would ever have time or the talent to make anything of those ideas. At the height of COVID, I got the wild idea to just write a few chapters and see how it went. I wrote ten chapters, read them, and decided that they did not entirely suck. I gave them to my wife to read. Her first response was, "You're writing a book?" Her second response was, "when do I get to read more?"


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been a wild ride. There are some big highs. Completing the first draft, hitting submit for publication, holding a physical copy in my hand, hearing my friends' and family's reactions when they find out about it. There've been some lows. Pushing through the middle marathon, agonizing over whether I should try traditional publishing or just self-publish, Grammarly indicating that it wanted me to make 4786 corrections to my third draft, and imposter syndrome. But I cannot describe how gratifying it was to have a physical copy of the book in my hand. It was edited, polished, looked and felt professional, and I was proud of it.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do your research. How to be a better writer, what it takes to self-publish, what are the avenues to traditional publishing. Lastly, write something you'd enjoy reading. Don't try to find a market niche you can fit into. Odds are, if you enjoy your own story, there are a couple hundred thousand others who would enjoy it too.


Tell us about your book/books:

The Garden Gnome is the first of a series called the Theory of Magic. It will explore what our world would look like if magic came into it. There isn't a ton of elaborate world-building because it's our world. It is a contemporary fantasy, with a streak of sci-fi, a touch of mythology, and a pinch of Arthurian Legend.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

There has never been a better time to find a good read. Self-publishing is finally coming out of the shadows and making its debutante debut, and it amazes me how willing successful self-published authors are willing to share their experiences and knowledge. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

The impetus of this story is an imaginary friend, and I would encourage everyone to take some time out of their day to play with their imaginary friends. For authors, those friends are often in the corners of their minds waiting to be spilled out on the page. For readers, it's usually cozying up with their favorite author's latest creation.


Where can people connect with you?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview