Fanny Blake interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began when I was once left in a caravan and found a pile of Enid Blyton’s Secret Seven books. Until then I hadn’t much enjoyed reading for myself but they got me going.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I didn’t seriously consider being an author until I left my job in publishing at Penguin Books where I had been an editor for many years. I began by writing TV tie-ins, then ghosted celebrity memoirs. Eventually, I decided that I wanted to write something for myself, and that perhaps there was a novel lurking in me. Turns out there have been ten so far!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I’ve found the process extremely satisfying. I learned so much from writing those memoirs in particular. For example, how to structure a piece of work, how to find a voice and maintain it. Everything I’ve done has been grist to the mill.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Stick at it and have confidence in yourself. Writing is fraught with self-doubt for many people but if you can push through that and write what you want to write, success may not be so far away.


Tell us about your book/books:

When I started, there didn’t seem to be many authors writing about women my age (over 60) and the issues they face. We are a vibrant, lively group of women who still have plenty to offer the world. I enjoy writing about these women who are facing divorce, an empty nest, forging a new relationship with their children and those who are of the sandwich generation. Of course within all that, I manage to point up secrets and betrayals that have been passed down generations, and look at issues of loss, love, friendship and so on. My latest, The Daughter-in-Law, is about a woman and her daughter-in-law whose relationship leaves a lot to be desired, and who have to confront their separate pasts that threaten the present.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The reading/writing community is tremendously supportive. In my experience, the lasting friendships and support networks formed within it are second-to-none.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I hope you enjoy my novels


Where can people connect with you?

On Twitter @fannyblake1

On Instagram @fannyblake1

On Facebook fannyblake.co.uk

The Daughter-in Law (Simon & Schuster £8.99) is published on February 16th


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview