DK4 Poetry/Daniel Kay interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began at a very young age. My parents used read to me and my sister every night before bed. I remember my mother taking me to the library every weekend and letting me pick out whichever books caught my eye. From there, I began to really appreciate the power of reading and how it could transport me to different places, introduce me to new characters, and teach me fascinating things. I have audiobooks now, and they have enhanced books for me. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Through my darkest days of alcoholism, I found solace in writing. It became a form of therapy for me, helping me to make sense of my struggles and challenges. Writing provided me with an outlet to express my emotions and process difficult experiences. It wasn’t easy, but I slowly began to come out of the darkness and find my way back to sobriety.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process of becoming an author has been a challenging but ultimately rewarding experience. I've had to gain knowledge and understanding of the publishing industry, as well as writing multiple drafts of my new poetry pamphlet while revising it to ensure its quality. I've also had to put in countless hours researching and preparing everything. Despite the hard work involved, I'm proud of what I've achieved so far and really excited by the prospect of sharing my story with a wider audience.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

If you have a passion for writing and telling stories, becoming an author can be an incredibly rewarding experience. To those wanting to become an author, I would say – don’t be afraid to take risks and put yourself out there! It takes hard work, dedication and resilience to make it as a writer, but it’s worth it if you’re willing to put in the effort. Find your voice and write what you know! And never give up on your dreams of writing something great.


Tell us about your book/books:

I’m currently writing poetry pamphlet that aims to bring awareness to issues faced by those in the working class, specifically those dealing with disabilities and social injustices. Through this book I intend to provide an honest look into the reality of these struggles and how they can be addressed through creative expression. There are two main reasons why I wanted to do this: 1) To create a platform where people can discuss their experiences with disabilities or social injustices without fear or judgement; 2) To use creative expression as a way to bring attention to these issues and find ways to help combat them. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love that the writing community is so inclusive and encouraging. Everyone wants to help each other become better writers and create meaningful work, which is something that I value deeply. Writing can be a lonely process, but the writing community gives us all a place to connect and collaborate with others who share our passion. Being part of this supportive network has made me feel more inspired to write and push my boundaries when it comes to creating content.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If I could say anything to my readers, it would be that I'm grateful for their support and enthusiasm. It's been such a pleasure writing for them and hearing their feedback. I'm excited to continue engaging with them and creating meaningful content that will add value to their lives. Thank you for this opportunity too!


Where can people connect with you?

On Facebook, I’m Daniel Kay or DK4 Poetry. And that’s my Instagram, YouTube, and twitter name. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview