Deidre J Owen interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I was always a bit of a bookworm, but I remember being very much into the Sweet Valley High series in middle school. It was also around then that I discovered the joy of Old Book Smell. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have always been a good writer and excelled at it in school, but I didn't really sit down and "write-write" until my late 30s. I was randomly inspired to write what I thought would be a short story, only it turned into a novella...and three more quickly followed. After that, I guess you could say I was sold on the idea of being a writer!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

As with most passions, it's a labor of love. With every story I write, every step of the process, I grow and improve. And like many writers, I do separate being a writer from being an author. I view "writer" as more of a state of being and "author" as a state of accomplishment...and the process of becoming an author can be pretty intense! Whether you are seeking representation, querying publishers, or flying solo as an indie, there is an incredibly steep learning curve on the path to publication.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Take your time. Learn the trade. The publishing industry has changed dramatically in recent years, and with new technologies available to the masses now, it is ever evolving. There is a lot more expected of an author today than in generations past, too. No longer can a writer get by just scribbling alone in the corner. We have to engage. 


Tell us about your book/books:

So, funny enough, those first four novellas that sparked my whole journey remain unpublished (and, as rough as they are, may well remain so). Since then, I have embraced my knack for short form fiction and have written a number of short stories, novelettes, and novellas. Last year I released two novellas with Mannison Press. One, a sci-fi horror called Terminal Faults, which has been described as "gone to hell in outer space." The other, a comedy adventure about frustrated vigilantes called Power Vacuum. I currently have a prequel for Terminal Faults in beta (with more stuff in the works) and am planning a companion volume to Power Vacuum


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I have found it to be a wonderful resource. I joined Twitter initially because I "had to" to be a proper author these days, but I quickly found it to be a great source of information and support. Then, over time, camaraderies evolved and I've found myself ensconced in an inspiring sphere of influence. I've connected with so many amazing writers on social media, including my business partner. :)


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

First: Thank you for reading my work!
Second: You have weird feelings for a toaster now, don't you?


Where can people connect with you?

I have a convenient LinkTree: linktr.ee/deidrejowen. More directly, I am most active on Twitter (handle @deidrejowen) and I have several websites. My author website is deidrejowen.com and then there is mannisonpress.com (my indie pub) and mannisondesign.wordpress.com (my formatting and design services). 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview