Christian Yarnall interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I have been writing on and off my whole life. I enjoyed English at school and loved the books we had to read and discuss. I wrote books in my early teens but they were short and terrible! It wasn't until my early forties that I started to have ideas for (hopefully) good books. I persevered, writing around kids, job, life, and self published my first book on Amazon in December 2022.


When did your love of books begin?

I distinctly remember reading a biography of the F1 driver and champion, Nigel Mansell as a kid. I loved F1, and it was a good read. The opening pages were the start of the Adelaide GP in 1986. The writing made me feel like I was there, hearing the noise and smelling the hot engines. I actually submitted the first few pages for an exam, after changing a few words. Terrible plagiarism!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Only in my forties, and it is still very much a part time thing. If I could earn enough to write full time then that would be amazing.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The writing is the easy part I find. The publishing, getting noticed, marketing, all of that is hard work when you are not traditionally published. I received two hybrid publishing contracts for my first book, but turned them down in favour of self publishing through Amazon.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do it. If you have a good idea, write it down. Expand. Re-write. You learn all of the time. And read! You get ideas, learn how to structure the book, how dialogue can work. Reading others work is very valuable.


Tell us about your book/books:

The Pit is my first published book. It is about a couple who are kidnapped in a remote place and imprisoned in The Pit. They are forced to fight others to the death in order to earn their freedom. It is also about the relationship between the female main character and the woman she meets in prison. It is a violent, brutal story with a loving, romantic tale entwined.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

They tend to be very supportive. Facebook and Twitter have some good groups for sounding ideas out and getting feedback.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Just do it. Don't over think it. Write what you want, and then keep editing it until you're happy. My current book, I have done 60,000 words and it is very rough. When the story is finished I will go back through and edit, flesh out details, and make sure it all makes sense.


Where can people connect with you?

@YarnallAuthor - on Twitter


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview