Anne Pinkerton interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I grew up in Texas and moved to Massachusetts for college, where I've lived ever since. I work as a marketing communications director in higher education, and spend as much of my free time as possible pursuing my personal writing.


When did your love of books begin?

I loved books as early as I can remember anything. My parents were avid readers, and they read to me from the time I was born. As the baby of the family with much older siblings, I spent a lot of time entertaining myself, and that usually meant reading from the many children's books in my house. When I was old enough to go to the library, I was delighted by the endless volumes in the stacks and borrowed books as often as I could. In school, I was terrible at math and science, but by the time I was in 3rd grade, I was testing at a 12th grade reading level. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I started writing poems in elementary school, studied creative writing in college, and wrote marketing copy for a living, but it wasn't until I was in my 40s and in graduate school for my MFA that I even managed to refer to myself as a "writer." It was then, I realized I really wanted to finish and publish my book because I finally felt I had gained enough skills and knowledge to do it and that I had a real story to tell. I didn't refer to myself as an "author" until I signed a book contract, and it's still a challenging title to claim!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I published my first piece when I was a graduate student. Because that essay was so personal and I was so inexperienced, I was equal parts thrilled and terrified. But I was overwhelmed with positive responses, both to the story and the writing. Ever since then, I go through the same combination of fear and excitement when I share my work with others. I've found that publishing, more often than not, connects me to others, and it's been the greatest experience of my life. (I hope that positive responses persist once my book publishes, but I know it won't be for everyone.)
Publishing is difficult: it requires persistence and a thick skin. Sometimes even one brief poem is rejected dozens of times before it sees the light of day. I pitched my book more times than I can count before my publisher offered me a deal. Readers and reviewers don't have to be kind, and online platforms make it easy to be brutally honest.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Know that it is often an uphill battle and that you will likely never make enough money to live off of writing. It might hurt your feelings from time to time. But it might be the most satisfying thing you ever do. Only do it if you love it and can't stand not to. Per my answer to the previous question, if you really feel compelled, believe in your work and don't give up.


Tell us about your book/books:

Were You Close? a sister's quest to to know the brother she lost is a memoir about the death of my older brother, who fell from a mountain in Colorado while hiking. The book covers my research about who my brother was as an extreme athlete, racing teammate, and friend; the different experiences of grief in my family and the world at large, the fact that sibling loss is not acknowledged as a major loss in our culture, and specific ways I coped with the greatest loss of my life to date.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Generally, I am pleasantly surprised by how supportive and encouraging the literary community can be. I learn from other writers and readers all the time.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

THANK YOU


Where can people connect with you?

AnnePinkertonWriter.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview