Anika Savoy interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I hold an undergraduate degree in English literature from McGill University, where I graduated with distinction. I also hold a Juris Doctorate from University of Cincinnati, College of Law, where I graduated with Dean's Honors. I practiced law for 20 years before deciding to write full-time. I write nonfiction under the name, Anne K. Howard, and paranormal historical romance under the pen name, Anika Savoy. 


When did your love of books begin?

My love for books began at about the age of eight when I discovered the power that words have to transport a reader into another world. I kept many journals in childhood and wrote short stories, always with the knowledge that I would one day become an author.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

At the age of eight. I read a book about Annie Sullivan and Helen Keller and I was left with the intuitive sense that I would devote my life to writing meaningful stories. I thereafter spent every weekend in my father's study, sipping sugary tea and plowing through all types of fiction and nonfiction. In high school, I won the English Award three years in a row. My Senior English teacher told me, "You have a gift. Use it!" Pursuing the practice of law was always my "default" career, even at the age of eight. In the end, I did both, and legal writing actually honed my ability to write fiction and nonfiction. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Discouraging, at times. I dreamt of writing best-sellers after graduating with an English Literature degree. I won several creative writing awards at McGill and thought, "Of course, I will be the next  big thing!" Then reality intervened. I wrote a historical romance with paranormal elements titled "The Hempen Widow," and sales were dismal, so I decided to go to law school. However, I continued writing historical romance on the side but never pursued publishing the manuscripts. It was not until I started writing true crime (one of my favorite genres) that I gained a loyal following of readers and some recognition. The media coverage and sales for "His Garden: Conversations with a Serial Killer," gave me the confidence to leave the practice of law and finally focus on what I loved the most-- writing paranormal historical romance.    


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Writing is a craft, and like any other craft, you improve with practice. So keep writing! Most importantly, writing is not about you, it's about telling a great story. The story should exist separately from your ego and personal experiences-- preferences, grudges, traumas, etc. (The one exception is memoir or biography.) Focusing on your own beliefs and biases will usually kill a great story. Strive to be objective. See yourself as a film director and producer, watching the story unfold and allowing the actors (i.e. your characters) to do their thing without trying to control them too much. There's the adage, "write what you know," but did Ken Follett personally experience World War II when he wrote "The Eye of the Needle?" Did Shakespeare live in Hamlet's time and cavort with murderous kings and queens? Rather, write about what interests you and do a lot of research to give the story substance and credibility. 


Tell us about your book/books:

Nonfiction by Anne K. Howard
"His Garden: Conversations with a Serial Killer," was published by WildBlue Press in 2018. It tells the true story of my conversations (via in-person prison visits, and written and phone correspondence) with a serial killer who killed seven people and buried their remains behind a strip mall in Connecticut. I also interviewed many family members of the victims. The book won several awards and is featured on several different TV shows. 
"Escape from Mariupol: A Survivor's True Story," was published by WildBlue Press in late 2022. Escape tells the true story of a Ukrainian woman's plight at the start of Russia's invasion. Adoriana Marik hid alongside 215 civilians in a cold basement beneath a high rise in Mariupol for over a month. The amount of death and destruction that she witnessed confounds the imagination. That she managed to escape was nothing short of a miracle. 
Fiction by Anika Savoy
"The Ghost in Her," was published in early 2023 by Inkspell Publishing, Book One in the Ungilded Series, tells the story of Maggie O'Connor, a destitute Irish seamstress living in NYC's squalid Bowery District in 1888. Maggie comes from a long line of Irish seers, and she knows that sharing her psychic gifts could result in being thrown into the New York City Lunatic Asylum. When she winds up at the madhouse on Blackwell's Island, her new love interest, a handsome Jewish architect named Gershom Moskowitz, helps her to escape with the assistance of ghosts, faeries, and an eccentric old witch.    



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

We share the same passion for books. For me, life without stories would be drab and meaningless. Stories give us escape, comfort, and hope. They challenge us and enrich us. True writers and avid readers understand the importance of well-written stories in every genre.  


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading my books! Without readers, I am nothing. When I meet readers at author presentations, I am eager to hear about what they liked and did not like about my stories, and I take all constructive criticism seriously. I deeply value your feedback. 


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter: Anika Savoy Author @AnikaSavoy
Author Website: anikasavoyauthor.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview