Paul Carro interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Paul Carro and I am a horror author. I was first published in an anthology of Maine Authors when I was in fifth grade after my teacher submitted one of my stories to the anthology. So from an early age I can say I was published alongside Stephen King! I went on to study film/TV and moved to Los Angeles after college where I sold screenplays, filmed and edited on various projects, and eventually got into producing in both film and in reality TV. None of the Hollywood work was in horror, my true love, so I finally returned to my literary roots and have been writing horror novels since 2018.


When did your love of books begin?

Honestly at a very young age. I learned to read prior to kindergarten thanks to an older sister and Sesame Street. From that early I could not read enough. I would hide under my covers at night reading books by flashlight, hoping my parents did not find out how late I was staying awake. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

No exageration, it was by age six. No one was using typewriters anymore so I saw one at a yard sale super cheap and begged my mother to get it. She did. I then proceeded to type out Moby Dick with the book at my side. I made some of my own changes along the way, but I felt I was a writer writing Moby Dick rather than simply copying. Soon I would be doing my own work.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I wish to tread carefully here. I have had some early success but I want to make it clear, I have been writing screenplays for two decades. And I wrote an immense amount of stories through high school and into college. For that reason, I have been able to forge my own path. For many who enter this arena, they will find different ways to success, but the best I can offer is the more groundwork one lays the better the chances to have their work shine. I will finish this thought in the next question.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I sold a screenplay about 19 years ago that was hot at the time but has still not been produced yet. I will receive another substantial paycheck if that finally goes into production. I say this to make sure authors understand the dream of being picked up for a movie and making tons of money happens every day, but even when it does, it can take a long, long time. One has to continue writing in the meantime. If you sit on the one book and expect a financial change in your life then most will be disappointed. Being an author should come from love of the genre one writes in, love of the written word, or love of the craft. Also, do not be so quick to show your first work. Let it sit in a shelf for two-six months and dig it out. With fresh eyes you will see faults that can be corrected before submitting. That alone will increase a person's chances for success even though that wait is extremely difficult, especially the younger one is.


Tell us about your book/books:

The House is what put me on the map. Comic Book Resources listed it as one of their top 10 horror novels which was a thrill. The logline is: 'The day began when Sheriff Frank Watkins discovered two bodies and three heads. Then things got strange.' I don't want to spoil it from there.
And I loved horror anthologies my whole life. For that reason I conceived of a unique anthology series. This one I write with my nephew Joseph Carro who is an accomplished writer/editor himself. The concept is we visit 12 coffee shops (ideally in vastly different areas or states) and we allow the setting and people coming and going to inspire a horror story that we never would have written otherwise. The stories are not about coffee (with one exception) but came about from little things in the environment that spurred the terrifying tales. That series is The Little Coffee Shop of Horrors Anthology. Volume 2 dropped recently.
There are more, but I would start there.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Both are filled with some of the most amazing people. I write in a genre different from many but the other authors all share the same issues no matter the genre. It is amazing how much everyone supports other people. And readers? What can I say? We truly cannot do it without them. I have received some amazing comments and emails from some fantastic people and it juices you up to keep going and finish that next project for them. Thank you readers! You all are the best! 


Where can people connect with you?

I have a website paulcarrohorror.com

That has links to all my socials. Also if anyone signs up for my mailing list they get a free ebook which is a good way to test the waters with what I do. Don't worry, you will not be slammed with tons of emails, those who follow me actually elbow me for not sending out enough updates. If they wanted to pick one social media outlet I am at paulcarrohorror at almost all but am most active recently on Instagram


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview