Max Jeffries interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

Before Netflix and smart televisions, I spent every night of my childhood reading before bed. There was no computer or television in my bedroom, but an endless array of books and permission to read to my heart’s content. It got to a point where I could not fall asleep until I had read at least one page. It was likely then I discovered my love for books. And not just one genre, I read fantasy, humour, mystery and adventure, albeit at a junior or middle-grade fiction. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I think the desire to write my own books began at a young age. I admired the authors I read during my childhood and always thought about someday creating my own story. It was not until recent years that I found the confidence to turn my ideas into a full-length manuscript. During the writing process, I found an even deeper love and appreciation for books and recognised them not only as a creative process but as an art form. When I write, I feel truly at peace, so once I started, I couldn’t stop. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

When I began writing my first novel, titled, Altered Sense, I found creating the actual story to be relatively easy. It was a story I had in my mind for some time and once I plotted the book and began turning simple ideas into a full-length manuscript difficult. Then the hard part began. It did not take long to release why so many people begin writing but never finish their manuscripts. I also work full time so it took a lot of effort. It was hard to find the time to write. While I enjoyed the process, it was still very difficult. When I completed my manuscript and sent several queries to agents and publishers, I was met with plenty of rejection. It was a little hard to deal with at first, but then I remembered every successful author has been rejected at some point. Eventually, my manuscript was picked up by Shawline Publishing, an independent Australian publisher, and now Altered Sense is due for release in May 2023. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

First, I would say just keep writing and never give up. If you have a story you need to tell, do it and let nothing stand in your way. Though, I would say write for yourself. Write to please yourself and to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when your first manuscript is complete. Don’t focus on the end goal of getting published, just write for yourself and the rest will follow. 


Tell us about your book/books:

ALTERED SENSEMy debut novel due for release in May 2023


‘When an unprovoked and vicious assault leaves Will Denham unconscious with serious head injuries, he soon experiences strange visions. After battling with his mind and questioning his own sanity, he pieces together the clues of his visions and learns they are premonitions of a violent and horrific crime yet to occur. The loyalty of those closest to Will is put to the test when they are confronted with his newfound abilities as they are challenged by what they ever thought was possible. As visions of a brutal kidnapping and a terror attack continue to plague him, he must gain the trust of those who doubt him to work together in order to save innocent lives.‘


I would classify Altered Sense as a supernatural crime thriller. I read a lot of crime fiction and I wanted to write a book in my favourite genre. However, typical crime thrillers saturate the market so I wanted to add a slightly unique element whereby the main character is a regular guy who experiences strange visions. The story follows Will’s journey as he first tries to make sense of what is happening to him, while several horrific crimes happen around him. When I began writing Altered Sense and came up with the concept of a character with these visions, I asked myself, how would anyone ever believe him? How would the police respond? How would his friends respond? By mixing the elements of crime and the supernatural, I found a unique way of writing a crime thriller. 

I am also happy to say I am working on a follow-up to Altered Sense. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the support I have seen fellow writers show to each other. The writing industry can be quite brutal and when we encourage each other, it really goes a long way. It is also really nice to hear the number of people who prefer reading over watching a movie and I for one, believe there are things a book can do that a movie simply cannot. With the rise of streaming services, it is nice to still see so many readers out there. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Aside from a select few, my novel has not yet been seen by the public, but what I would say is thank you! For a long time, I have wanted to publish a novel and if just one person enjoys it, I have done my job and I would be so grateful to anyone out there who reads my book. 


Where can people connect with you?

I am on Twitter - @maxjeffries89 and I have a new website - maxjeffriesauthor.com. I am working on a blog through this website and anyone who is interested can subscribe to my website. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview