Jonathan Spees interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Jonathan Spees, I am a thirty two year old teacher currently living and working in London. I have always wanted to be a writer and wanted to focus on middle grade books because that is the age group that I have taught for my entire teaching career. I began writing Elfis in 2021, with my great friend and writing partner Jonas Kjaer, and have been eagerly waiting for it to be published since. It will be released, hopefully, at the end of February. 


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began when I was eight years old and read The Phantom Tollbooth it was the first time I can remember being sad about finishing a book because I loved it so much. Since then, I have always loved reading. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have wanted to become an author my entire adult life, I have always loved reading, and have been writing short stories for as long as I can remember. Being able to write and read for a living is something I have always wanted to do!  


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I have found the process of becoming an author to be both very exciting, challenging. Writing has always been exciting for me, and the idea of having a book officially published is something that I still can't quite fully believe is actually happening. It has also been very challenging, writing a story of any kind is difficult, and I have dealt with a number of both internal and external obstacles and difficulties, but, writing is something that I love doing, so even the challenges I have faced have been rewarding in their own way!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would say you need to have thick skin and to keep writing even when faced with rejection and adversity. You have to deal with a lot of rejection and criticism while writing, and trying to publish a book. It is important to remember that any rejection or criticism you may face is not personal, and just because your story may not be right for some people, it doesn't mean it's bad or that you should give up. If writing is something you love, keep writing! 


Tell us about your book/books:

Elfis is the story of an elf who wants to be a rockstar rather than a toymaker. Unlike most elves, Elfis doesn't want to make toys in Santa's workshop, he wants to sell out arenas playing music. The book is about the struggle that Elfis goes through in order to realize his dream of becoming a rock star, some of which include, a school bully, an intimidating father, some self-inflicted trials as well. It is meant for kids between 8 and 12 but I believe this is a book that everyone can enjoy. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how supportive the reading/writing community is. The community is one that really cares and treats each other with respect, even if someone doesn't necessarily like your work. I think this is because this community knows how daunting a task it is to write and share something as personal as a book, and as a result, I have found nothing but support and care throughout this whole process. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If I could talk to the readers, I would say a massive and sincere thank you and that I hope you enjoy reading this book, as much as we enjoyed writing it. 


Where can people connect with you?

You can connect with me on twitter @_elfchronicles, on instagram @the_elfchronicles, on linked in @The Elf Chronicles or just via my personal email address jonathanspees@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview