John Reid (author of the DCI Steve Burt series) interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

Even at school I was a prolific writer of essay’s. I was always the last to finish and presented the longest pieces of work. I carried this with me into business life always being able to write about complicated issues in a way my colleagues could understand.With the Covid lockdown I was encouraged to write my first novel based on a story line I had carried around in my head for many years. Once I started I couldn’t stop and am currently working on my 13th novel of which 7 have been published with a further 3 scheduled for publication in 2023/24.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It is difficult to be too precise as to when my love of books first became obvious. I was a member of the library as a teenager so I suppose I got the bug then. My initial reading was factual military works and this carried on into my army career that saw me read about and study the great generals our country has produced. Over many years I have always been found either just starting or just finishing a book. I now read mainly fiction.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I have always been a good story teller and seem to have throughout my life felt I wanted to write. However the need to support a family made it impossible to give up paid employment to become a full time author. With the passage of time and retirement this became a possibility and with the encouragement of my wife and the seclusion opportunities presented by Covid I was finally able to realise my ambition.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

The process of becoming an author has been fairly simple. That is the author part in putting the story together into a document. It is the other side of the equation that has proven difficult and frustrating. I was fortunate in that my first and subsequent novels were accepted first time by a publisher. Like most authors I thought that was it and I was about to become established. However dealing with the publishers on sales and marketing is difficult as is the amount of effort involved in proof reading etc. Overall the writing has been the easy part. It is what follows that gives issues.


Tell us about your book/books:

I would say to anyone wishing to start writing - DO IT. It can be a rewarding way of freeing your mind and give you freedom to explore what lies deep inside your subconscious. It can be enjoyable and rewarding whilst keeping you mentally alert.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

My work is pure fiction. As I write I allow my characters to dictate the plot and where necessary I will intervene with a conceptional idea to maintain the flow of the narrative. I write  murder mystery novels and have launched a series of continuous stories centred around my main character DCI Steve Burt. Each novel stands alone and can be read out of sequence. I write my story lines in real time so the reader is carried along minute by minute as the plot and coincidences unfold. I am told this gives my work a “page turner” appeal. I find the writing community extremely friendly and helpful. Everyone tries to help each other. It is refreshing in this cut throat age to find such helpful and friendly competitors.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

To my readers I say, I hope I can continue to write novels that keep you both amused and interested. I try not to repeat previous story lines and invent scenarios that are fresh and interesting. I have now written 10 DCI Steve Burt novels and have started writing about a new character called DS Billy Kerr in an attempt to give my readers a variety of plots, locations and characters.


Where can people connect with you?

We run various social media platforms designed to inform my readership and to allow exchanges of ideas and comments as follows:-www.Steve-Burt.comDCI Steve BurtJohn Reid author


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview