Joel Anthony Hamilton interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Dr. Joel Hamilton. I recently switched from research to self-publishing. I published the first book in the Mud Crab Kingdom series, the Soft-Shelled Prince, earlier this year!


When did your love of books begin?

I think my love for books started in high school. The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod and Bluford series were my favorites! 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I had the urge to become a self-published author in February of 2022. That is when my father passed away. Prior to his death, I normally did things (obtained multiple degrees, did research, etc.) to please him. Following his death, writing my own book series was the first thing I did with my own happiness in mind. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I've really enjoyed it! Research publishing is often devoid of emotion and is black and white, per say. Self-publishing and writing a fiction book is freeing. Plus, I do not have to be bothered with citations (which I do not joy haha). 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would say, there's no time like the present! Another impact of my father's death was being reminded of my own mortality. So, I have a slight urgency to get my entire series done. You never know when your last day will be. I don't plan on having kids. So, I look at this book as my legacy. 


Tell us about your book/books:

The first book in the Mud Crab Kingdom, The Soft-Shelled Prince, features Marcious Leojé. He is the son of a fair-skinned prince and a mud-skinned peasant. Despite his royal blood, he is treated like any other mud-skin (spat on, called racial slurs, etc.). So, he and his best friend, Etel, go far beyond the kingdom walls to the muddy mangroves. Here, the racism of the kingdom cannot reach them. They form a kinship with the native crabs and make their own playground-sized Mud Crab Kingdom. Ruling crabs is easy. But leading people, waging war, forming alliances, and navigating unknown feelings (LGBT) is the real test, especially in a word hostile to mud-skins. The second book will be released in early 2023!


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the unsolicited and honest support! It keeps me going when I'm feeling down.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for the support! This book is literally my heart on paper. If you happen to relate to anything I've written, I'm proud of you. Proud of you for making it though. Proud of you for existing. And I'm thrilled to see where life takes you. It all gets better, in time! 


Where can people connect with you?

They can email me at mudcrabkingdom@gmail.com or connect with me on Twitter @mudcrabkingdom


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview