HL Bernabe interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Holly Bernabe and I write using the nom de plume HL Bernabe. Super creative, I know! I've been writing since I was a kid, and have always been attracted to stories and storytelling. My bachelor's is in film, with an emphasis in screenwriting, which is ironic, because now I'm choosing to write novels. They are two entirely different beasts.


When did your love of books begin?

I've always been a reader. I can't ever remember NOT having books. The library has been my friend since the beginning.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

In my twenties I tried to write a couple of different novels, but they didn't go anywhere, because I didn't know what I was doing and had no concept of outlining or plot or structure. Then life got in the way. I didn't start writing novels like that again until the pandemic. There wasn't anything else I wanted to do, and I had a story to tell, so I spent all my spare time writing. It wasn't until this last year, after I had finished the rough drafts of three of my books in my series and I started networking with other authors, that I realized, "Hey, this is something you really can do."


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Painful and rewarding. I feel like I've been in graduate school for the last year. There is so much more to writing than sitting your ass in the chair and pumping out words. There's learning craft, editing, formatting, cover design, marketing, social media, creating an author platform, networking, and so much more. It has been more work and harder than anything else I have ever done, but I have made friends and I feel a wonderful sense of accomplishment.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be prepared to develop neuroses. But also be prepared to have the time of your life. I wouldn't trade these last two years I've been working on my series for anything. It's a beautiful thing to know that something you have worked so hard on is out there for the enjoyment of others. And it's even more rewarding when you find out people actually like it. That you made people laugh and cry and experience all the emotions. It's satisfying.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have a novella called By Her Grace that is available as a reader magnet through a promotion with Book Funnel. https://books.bookfunnel.com/jansff001a/hzpvagcd0y.  The blurb: 

Halfling chef Paisley Dell lives in Aspenwood, a small town at the meeting of two major trade roads. The Dells own the Rosebud Inn and are pillars of the halfling community. Paisley is happy, but... something is missing. She feels unfulfilled and restless. On her Becoming Day, she meets a mysterious young human, pregnant and on the run, and through her Paisley glimpses a world she desperately wishes she could know. A world of spice, elves, and exotic, faraway places.

As their friendship grows with every recipe Prilani teaches her, Paisley's desire to save her from her pursuer grows, too. Paisley must make some life-changing choices and face terrible danger. Is the risk worth it?



Once that promo is over, I plan to put it on Kindle Unlimited and will be asking for reviews. That novella is the prequel to Cooking Up Magick, which is book one in my Dell Chronicles series.  Paisley Dell goes on to further adventures in the series, which will be four books. I'm planning to launch Cooking Up Magick in August this year.I also wrote an erotica romance for NaNoWriMo last year, and I plan to release Miracle Maker sometime later this year, as well.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community is so damn helpful. Seriously. Anytime I have a question, I head over to twitter, or any one of the million writing facebook groups I'm in and I post my question. I get so much helpful feedback. I also love how so many writers try really hard to boost each other up. We are more than happy to help out a fellow writer in need, whether it is doing some critiquing, or a mention in our newsletter or blog, tweeting about a new release, or whatever. I just LOVE that.And as for the readers, without them, we writers would be writing only for ourselves. They make us. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Be kind. That is actually a theme in my books. I have characters that are kind, compassionate, and empathetic. I write about people who use love to change the world, because that is something that I would like to see more of. My characters have lots of foibles, but they try their best. That's all we can ask of anybody.


Where can people connect with you?

I'm a noob on Mastodon, so I would love for people to look me up and give me a follow. Well, if I'm being honest, I'm a noob on most social media, except my family Facebook account, which I've had forever. But as an author? Nope. Most of my followers are on Twitter, since that was a space I was on a LOT last year. This year, I plan to focus more on Tiktok and putting out more content on there. I started playing with it last month and had a lot of fun with making some videos, so I imagine I will be doing a lot more of that. 
My blog and newsletter sign up can be found at http://hlbernabe.com/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview