Georgia C. Leigh interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

GEORGIA C. LEIGH grew up in California and resides in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband, two grown sons, a cat, two horses and the occasional gecko when the youngest comes home from college. When not working and writing, Georgia is a competitive equestrian. Light in the Shadows is Georgia’s debut novel, the first book in the Shadows and Light series. Light in the Shadows will be published on January 10, 2023.


When did your love of books begin?

I can’t remember ever not loving books. My grandmother taught me to read at the age of 3-4, and I’ve been an avid, voracious reader my entire life. My first love is fantasy, fantasy romance and SciFi, but I also love historical, literary fiction, thrillers/mystery and some romance/romcom.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I think any avid reader has a book inside them. I wanted to write a book in my 30s, but didn’t have the time or mindspace to really sit down and do it. I tried once and got 2 chapters into it, but the story stuck and I couldn’t visualize the characters or the plot, so it died. It took another 20 years for this story to pop out of my head.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Wow, where do I start! Thrilling, frustrating, moments of profound self-doubt and amazement that I could actually write a book! I’ve had a lot of help along the way from some really amazing, patient people. And I’m completely in love with the creative side of writing, of fantasy romance in particular. I think the emergence of this genre as a real genre is what finally pulled this story out of my brain.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Learn about the process from multiple people and find what works for you. There is no one “right” way to write! But don’t skip steps. EVERY author needs external eyes on their work. The best bet is to get an editor, one that is a professional (meaning, does it for a living) and believes in your work. This is one area you should not skip or try to do cheaply. If you can’t afford an editor, get beta readers—a LOT of them—that are fans of your genre. These people will see flaws you are blind to as a writer.


Tell us about your book/books:

Wow, how long do you have?? My debut book, Light in the Shadows, is the first of a four part series, with a novella that will come out between books 3 and 4. Book 2 is written and the first draft of book 3 is 2/3 complete. It is a fantasy romance focused on Haven, a seraphim with a rare magic that she must learn to control with the help of an equally powerful Shadowalker, Ryker. But can she control it before others control her?? It is an Academy type setting, where Haven learns about what it means to be seraphim: flight, magic and warrior training. Along the way, she learns about friendship, family, and love. And herself!



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I would never have been able to write this book without the Twitter community. I’ve learned so, so much about the craft from other authors and writers, and it is where I found my fabulous editor, Jaime Dill. The support on dark days, being able to laugh at yourself with others who know exactly what you’re going through, and the sense of community, that you’re not alone in what can otherwise feel like a very lonely endeavor.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Most of all, thank you! For your time and support. And that I hope this little story brought you a few hours of joy (sorry about the tears….!) I know it won’t be for everyone, and that’s okay!


Where can people connect with you?

If you’re a writer, I’m most active on Twitter. If you’re a reader, I’m most active on TikTok. I do have author pages on Instagram and Facebook, and will plan to spend more time on those platforms once my book is available. Links are on my website, on Linktree, and below:

Website:                              www.georgiacleigh.com

Twitter:                                @LeighGeorgiaC

TikTok:                                  @georgiacleigh

Facebook:                           Georgia Leigh

Instagram:                          gc.leigh


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview