Susan B. Lovejoy interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I am a grandmother and have been writing all my life. I wrote my first book Love, Gramma during the initial phase of the pandemic. I realized that there were so many things I wanted to tell my teenage grandchildren about life, and the possibility of not being here for those milestones was very real. So I wrote a love letter to my grandchildren while I was isolated, like the rest of the world.


When did your love of books begin?

I have loved the written word since childhood. Books helped me to escape to other worlds, where I found adventure in every page. I love people, so learning about those who lived in different worlds with unique cultures made me want to learn more.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

My earliest writings that I saved were from about the age of 11 or 12. I have one story I wrote in pencil and I'm still trying to figure out how to preserve it so I can read it! My brother and I both wrote stories, then I added poetry to my collections of writing in high school.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

My stories, poetry, and essays were published randomly, as I was writing long before the internet and online publications became an option. We had typewriters to create our stories, then books that listed where to submit them to editors and publishers. It was grueling, mailing off those huge envelopes of manuscripts, waiting for a response, and filing away the rejection letters. Some of the rejection letters included very nice, supportive messages from the editors, though, and that was what inspired me to keep writing. I love the open door of self-publishing!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write what you know, what you're passionate about, what you dream of. Don't let anyone discourage you, because even if your writing makes a difference in just one person's life, it is worth it.


Tell us about your book/books:

Most of my stories are written so that anyone 12 and over can read them.
Love, Gramma, my first book, is my book of advice on being a teen, a twenty-something, living on your own for the first time, how to manage expenses, being a young parent, raising children, and growing old. It's simply advice from a grandmother who has seen life from a different perspective.
Her Alien Children, my second book, is about a young girl who grows up questioning her dreams, strange memories, and even her family, as she faces the possibility that she is being pursued by alien beings.
A Butterfly in My House, my third book, is my first children's picture book, illustrated by my good friend Jane E. Hathaway. It is the story of a rambunctious butterfly who enters a home where the family is having a gray day. He livens things up and leaves them smiling.
Our Family's Spirits, my fourth and latest book, is a collection of short stories based on true interactions with the paranormal and spirits. My family, friends, and I have all had instances of contact with other worldly beings, so I decided to write about some of those events. Some stories are more fictionalized for entertainment, others are almost dead on.
I also have five Kindle Vella stories, if your readers like to read those, as well.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The friendliness, for sure, and the way we all have a love for books and stories, whether creating or enjoying them.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

My sincerest wish is that something I've written touches you in some way, whether by entertaining you or giving you a boost up. We are all doing our best to navigate this place we call home, and I would love to be a positive part of your journey.


Where can people connect with you?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview