Russell Dean interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I'm Russell Dean, an author from South Wales. I'm 37 and based just outside of Cardiff. I've been writing for most of my life, but up until recently it's been something that has always sort of sat on the backburner. Then, when lockdown happened and I had more time on my hands, I decided to get as much done as I could, and now I write during just about any free moment I've got. Most of my works have LGBT themes running through them, and I almost always write from some sort of historical perspective, but I don't tend to fit neatly into any one particular genre, and have works released, and coming out, that cover time travel, murder mystery, suspence and comedy.


When did your love of books begin?

I've always been a heavy reader, from as far back as I'm able to remember. I had a set of Thomas the Tank Engine books when I was really little and I used to make people read them to me every single day. My mum thinks that those books are how I learned to read, simply because they were read to me so often that I memorised them word for word. As I grew up, so did my taste in books, and I would read every single day. Anything that had writing on it, I wanted to read it. I'm still the same now, though I have far less time. Even if I'm only managing a few pages, though, I still try to read every day.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

You know, I don't know if it was ever something I wished for. I think it was just something that I felt like I was always meant to do. I would always write stories as a kid, and I would spend ages fleshing them out and coming up with new plots and characters. When I was about 11 I took my first completed book, which was written in pen on some A4 sheets of paper, to my English teacher to check over. It wasn't very long but it was a full story about a kid who was struggling with navigating Christmas with divorced parents. My teacher was amazing, and in his own time went through the whole thing giving notes and suggested edits. I can't remember if I ever went back to it, though. I think I'd moved on to the next idea by then. Writing is just something I've always done.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been a very strange transition. Writing is one thing, but then having something that you've written out there for people to read, and seeing your name on the cover of a book, is such a surreal experience. I don't think I'll ever get used to it. The process hasn't been easy, but it's definitely been worth it, and I wouldn't change a thing.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do it? What are you waiting for? Your voice needs to be heard, and we can't read your incredible words if you keep them in your head. If you want to write, write. Get it down on the page and put it out into the world. Even when it's super hard and you feel like you're getting nowhere, it's always worth it in the end. Write, write, write.


Tell us about your book/books:

So my latest release is called Borrowed Time and it follows a man called Tom, who wakes up after a particularly heavy night of drinking to find he is in a field, in another country, and it's somehow 1889. He's stuck over a century in the past and completely out of his comfort zone, struggling to understand the language and the lifestyle, and desperate to get back to his own time. The problem is, just before he appeared out of nowhere, two local people went missing, and suspicion quickly turns to Tom. Along the way he meets some weird and wonderful characters, including someone who he ends up falling for, so while he's desperate to clear his name and get home, he's also left wondering how much he really wants to leave.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I've never been particularly good with social media, so I started out with some trepidation and was probably a bit later to the game than I should have been, but everyone has been super welcoming and warm. It really is a community, and the support has been incredible.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you. Thank you for taking a chance on my tales, and thank you for giving me such incredible feedback. It's been beyond my wildest dreams. And if you aren't a reader yet, it's never too late. I'm waiting for you.


Where can people connect with you?

I'm now all over social media, so you can find me on Twitter (@russdeanwrites) Instagram (@russelldeanwrites) Tiktok (@russelldeanwrites) and Hive (@russelldean). You can also check out my website, which is www.russelldeanauthor.co.uk. There's a section there to sign up to my newsletter, which gives exclusive access to short stories, news, info, arcs, signed books etc that aren't on the main website. Loads of perks and it's all free. Bargain.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview